Cultivated Reef

RIP/MIA Cleaner Shrimp?

Mitch529

Well my new cleaner shrimp has been doing great but when I woke up on Thursday he was no where to be seen :o After watching the tank for a bit I saw a exoskeleton wash out from under a LR it was clear and intact tail section. So I just figure he has just molted, well after looking around all of the LR I can find no signs of him, not even a feeler sticking out.

Fast forward to today, I wake up and again he is still MIA I look everywhere with a flashlight for signs of him. So I decided to move some rocks and see if he is around anywhere, well after removing all of the rocks that could have provided a hiding place he is no where to be found (nor a carcass or remnants of shell)

So Is he dead from failed molt or can they ball up and SUPER hide or something? He was perfectly fine before I went to bed on Wednesday.

Did a water test both days:

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

PH 8.2

Temp Swing 79.5 - 81

travisurfer

he's new to the tank so its most likely a molt. just give him time. the biggest rule is to NEVER move all the rock around and take things out looking for him. if he did molt, the stress from this has a big chance of killing him. just let things be and hope for the best. there are also two other possibilities:

1)he made it into the back sump areas

2)he was eaten by something else in the tank. do you have an crabs or fish?

the biggest thing is to just wait it out though.

Ok I will keep an eye out for him, I was very careful with the stuff I moved just picking it up and looking around it. I checked the back chambers and he's not in there.

kenthenanoguy

Could he have gotten out at all?

I have heard of them leaving the tank...Mine never did, but I was told it could...

Could he have gotten out at all?

I have heard of them leaving the tank...Mine never did, but I was told it could...

No I checked around the tank, he didn't make a great escape. He is still no where to be found today, all water tests this morning are still normal. He must have died that night and the Nassarius death squad made quick work of him :(

kenthenanoguy
No I checked around the tank, he didn't make a great escape. He is still no where to be found today, all water tests this morning are still normal. He must have died that night and the Nassarius death squad made quick work of him :(

Nassarius death squad, hahaha!

I like it!

Sorry about your shrimp though...

Nassarius death squad, hahaha!

I like it!

Sorry about your shrimp though...

Yeah was very strange :( Oh well, he probably made a good snack :huh:

As for the Nassarius, they are amazing the second food hits the tank they are like night of the living dead its hilarious. They frequently race each other to food and battle over it, they are some really great snails.

kenthenanoguy
Yeah was very strange :( Oh well, he probably made a good snack :huh:

As for the Nassarius, they are amazing the second food hits the tank they are like night of the living dead its hilarious. They frequently race each other to food and battle over it, they are some really great snails.

yeah I like them myself...I think I only have 2 left though. I may get 2 more.

Archived