Pod Your Reef

anyone ever drilled a ViaAqua glass tank?

Alphazone

I'm going to be setting up a nano shortly and I really like the size of the 15g ViaAqua (15"L x 13.5"W x 14.75"H). I'm going to be using a 12g sump and I want in in-tank overflow, not a hang-on overflow box. Has anyone ever drilled a hole in the bottom of a ViaAqua tank? the back?

alphazone,

My ViaAqua 18 gallon tank is drilled although I didn't do it myself (if that's what you were asking). The tank was drilled in the bottom to accomodate a 1.5" bulkhead. I then made a DIY overflow from black acrylic, fitted the overflow with a Stockman standpipe, and, voila!

I am pretty pleased with the results; having the tank drilled allowed me to cut down on the number of powerheads in the tank and add more live rock in the sump.

Littlec, I did see your post from a few months back - you're the only guy that I've found that's done it; exactly like I want to do. Your tank looks great!

Do you just use silicon to mount the overflow box to the back glass? I've made alot of stuff with acrylic with weld-on but I've never joined acrylic to glass.

I'm taking down my 2-year old 90g because I'm moving and I don't have space for it in my new place so I've decided to setup the 15g nano. With all the equipment and experience I've got I should be able to put together a nice nano. Nothing like an aquacontroller for your nanoreef!

Here's what I'm planning:

AquaVia 15g with 12g sump

AquaC Urchin skimmer

150w 10k MH

56W PC actinic

25lbs LR

custom micro-chiller

Neptune Aquacontroller for Temo,PH, and ORP, lighting

1/2" Seaswirl

Livestock: mixed LPS & SPS, Xenia - Fish: TBD

Archived