Cultivated Reef

IceProbe + heater in AquaFuge?

jgt246

I'm setting up a 10-gallon with the Coralife 96W quad light and the room it's in will get pretty warm over the summer. I'm considering the medium-size CPR AquaFuge (19-1/4"L x 4-1/2"W x 12"H) and wondered if it's possible to squeeze in both an IceProbe chiller and an Ebo Jager 50W heater, and if so where. (Photos much appreciated!)

Also, would I need a heater/chiller controller for this (since the IceProbe lacks a thermostat) or does the heater just offset the chiller when it gets too cold?

Many thanks for any insights or ideas.

JT

SeaMountain

JGT: A controller can be purchased for $59.95 I believe from the same place you grab up the IceProbe. ]Marine Depot. You can also see them at www.DrsForestSmith.com .

Jam your heater in the 'fuge and drill a hole to mount the Probe into and you should be set.

Personally I'm picking up a MicroChiller from MarineDepot.com. It's a Probe built into an HOB. For the money a AC 'fuge costs I've decided to go with a 10g 'fuge for additional water capacity and of course a bigger place to play in.

Check the member tanks for all the pics you want!

B)

Thanks SeaMountain. So the MicroChiller is just an IceProbe pre-drilled in an AquaClear HOB? Pretty slick.

With the AquaFuge, could the IceProbe be installed just by resting it on the top? According to specs it's 4" wide vs 4.5" for the AquaFuge, but you could glue a couple of pieces of acrylic for it to rest on...or is there some advantage to drilling the bulkhead?

Enjoyed your tank pics, btw!

JT

SeaMountain

I'm sure you could drop it in from the top jg. Be certain the probe itself is fully immersed though.

One thought I had earlier was to use the CPR 'fuge and just drill the back or end to accept the IceProbe through the acrylic side.

When you get it set up be sure to snap some pics for us! B)

I had the microchiller hanging on my 7 and a heater in my fuge and the only issue I found was that the chiller worked faster than the heater at night (lights out less heat). The hob chiller has greater water flow than the fuge but if both are in the fuge it should work better although, I would guess that the main tank will still run a bit too hot for the very same reasons - cooler water flowing back into the tank at a slower rate.

Anyone know if the controller can be added to the older microchillers?

Archived