Top Shelf Aquatics

How Much!!???

ludachris821

ludachris821

I was thinking of a 10 gallon set up and was wondering how much a set up would cost. I mainly want to keep nice moving corals and shrimp and crabs and maybe 1 small clown (maybe). So if anyone has a simular setup please let me know what it costs?;)

Billdemart

A breakdown of the cost sure would be appreciated as well

For example

RO/DI unit ~150-200 bucks

Salt ~ 100 bucks

Live Sand (how much and the price)

Live Rock (how much and the price)

Cooler

Heater

Skimmer?

Filtration

Other miscillaneous equipement

Lights

Corals

Fish

Inverts

What brands do you like for each, what online sights have the best pricing and satisfaction/customer service?

Thanks!

Bill

Well I have a 10 gallon that sounds like what you want:

10 gallon tank = 9.00

Power Filter/No Media = 35.00

201 Powerhead = 18.00

Heater = 15.00

32 watt CLS PC Lighting = 50.00

13 watt 6500k Light = 20.00

10 pds of Live Rock = 50.00

10 pds of Argonite Sand = 13.00

15 pds of Instant Ocean Salt = 15.00

Yellow Polyps = 20.00

Mushrooms = 25.00

Various Other Polyps = 15.00

Clown = 20.00

Cleanup Crew = 8.00

Total $313.00 and my tank needs more corals!!

There really is no easy way to judge how much you are going to spend based on where and how you aquire your 'stuff'. One estimate though that I thought was fairly accurate was to assume you will spend roughly $75-$100 per gallon by the time you have your reef tank set up and running.

To this point with me and my 12 gallon, that is darn near right on the money.

HTH.

Accurate costings:-

The TRUE setup cost for a 10 gallon nanoreef is USD$410 including tax, shipping, four starter corals and a fish.

Annual running cost is $144 for a two pump system with 75W heater and 32W smartlight (Florida power and light).

If your calculations arrive at a lower figure, I'm sorry to say that you are indulging in wishful thinking. Don't worry, I do that from time to time as well.

;)

coralreefengr

10 gallon tank = 9.00

201 Powerhead = 18.00

Heater = 15.00

The above is stolen from reefin's post. This would be your absolute minimum setup not including any livestock. Livestock can vary so much and I would have a much bigger clean up crew in addition to a detrivore kit. You must know that by getting into this hobby, it will get expensive. Livestock is one of those areas where you can spend a lot of money and not have much to show for it (to the non-reef-keeper).

So that's $190 not even considering what you may want living in there. Sometimes you can beg your local reef club for frags or snails, that helps defray some costs.

CRE

Originally posted by coralreefengr

10 gallon tank = 9.00

201 Powerhead = 18.00

Heater = 15.00

Here are a few other essentials people always seem to overlook. They start to add up very quickly:-

RO water or RO/DI unit

clean mixing/storage buckets c/w lids

mixing powerhead

scraper

thermometer

hydrometer

quality test kit

timer

power strip

2nd powerhead for tank (1 is insufficient for a 10g)

battery powered bait bubbler and airstone (power failures and frag meets)

coleman insulated box (frag meets)

food

additives (if used)

hood

fan(if required)

plastic tubing or dippers for water changes

paddle for primary mixing

cup measure

Originally posted by Raise

oh yes, time and powerstrip are two important items. As are testkits

Raise is right, it will cost you lots and lots of time.... and you'll probably go crazy too..

-skeletor-

Impossible to put a cost on it...agreed there...if only because it depends on how valuable your time is. The total running cost of my 10 gallon to date is....(drumroll)....roughly $700. That includes redoing my lighting once...(buy the Metal Halides FIRST..can't stress this enough folks..lol)..and getting most of my corals for damn near free from the local reef society. I plan on sinking another $200 into it sometime in the near future to upgrade my skimmer...plus roughly another $150 to redo my canopy and upgrade some plumbing. Reefing is an EXPENSIVE hobby...both in monetary and time costs. Can it be done on a smaller budget? Possibly...but as with all things in life..you get what you pay for! If you can commit the time and $$ now...go for it...if not...save up and read.

Thats my best advice..hth...

Archived