Cultivated Reef

Use Protective Screen on Maxi-Jets?

Shaolin

I'm wondering if most of you guys use the protective screen for the Maxi-Jet's.

Is it ok to not use it since it looks better and I dont have to worry about buildup and debri on the screen which will require cleaning?

I do have a perc and a royal gramma in the tank so if that makes a difference and having no protective screen causes a major hazard then let me know.

Thanks

I use it. I have to clean it around every month or so from algae or detritus buildup. The fish will likely never get close enough to ikt too worry about BUT realize that everything that the screen would usually get will get sucked into the pump. You may end up cleaning the pump more that normal as things can stick and impede flow through the intake. I'd use it to keep the pump longer and cleaner. You could make the strainer shorter if you wanted to.....I'd not recommend dismissing it alltogether though...

Cameron

I always try to use screens to protect things from getting killed. I have lots of baby snails and smaller snails that get hurt easily.

I had a nassarius snail get sucked up into a minijet 404 a few weeks ago since those don't have screens X)

The fish could easily get sucked in. If you take the screens off, you run the risk of killing the fish. It is probably better in the long run to just keep the screens on.

Archived