inTank Media Baskets

please comment

h2o

hello

I'm new to the marine scene so I thought a nano would be a great place to start. I've had heaps of experience with freshwater fish but very worried about starting marines.

The tank I'm thinking of setting up would be 50cm(L) by 40cm(H) by 35cm(W) with a sump 40cm (L) by 30cm (H) by 30cm (W)

I know sumps aren't used often in nano reefs but i thought it would be a good place to hide hardware such as heaters and protien skimmers.

If I put live rock in the sump would I need it provide it with light?

Hou many fish would I be able to keep and how big could they be?

What would the lighting requirements be if I was to include coral?

I was thinking of PC or MH.

If I used more live rock would I be able to get away with no live sand?

thanks

WorldNation

well, if your starting a nano reef tank...its consists of primaraly corals and invertebraes.

lighting depends on the size of the tank (gallons or L) and on what type of corals you want.

if u put live rock in the sump to use as a fuge, then you will deffinatly need lighting, otherwise it wont really do anything.

fish. if u have a 10galon(which is what i think u have) i would only put in one or two. and far from now at that. as i found out whne i went into saltwater, nano-tanks. it takes a lot longer to cycle than a freshwater tank.

thanks for th advise

by the sound of things I'm better off putting all the live rock in the actual tank to save on lighting the sump.

Hey h2o,

sumps are great, just not used so much on nano's, probably because we we have no room for one.... all that extra water volume is good...

is the tank drilled ?

if you put some live rock in the sump throw in some macro algae plus a light you'll have yourself a nice little refugium.. lighting the sump on a reverse cycle is also used to maintain a more stable pH.

fish: watch out, these things grow and get mighty nasty and almost impossible to catch. you only want one or two small fish in a tank that size.. I had two small clown's in a 10gal for a while, they were quite happy...

IMO you'll want to have live sand in the tank no matter how much LR you have...

-skeletor-

skeletor

I haven't bought the tank yet, just doing my research first.

Would the light in the sump need to be as strong ie watts/gallon as the tank itself?

the sump light can be anything that will help plants grow... I ran a single 13w PC (6700K I think) over an almost 5gal fuge and it worked a treat, lots of macro growth...

depending on where you are you could also go the mangrove route, lots of ppl having very good success with them now...

-skeletor-

Archived