Innovative Marine Aquariums

adding Ca in a SPS LPS and clam tank

melfy

I've decided to try SPS and a clam in my 20g tank, as soon as my new lighting set-up arrives...well the fixture arrived friday but I'm still waiting for the bulbs and rising brackets (oh man I hate canada post so much). Anyway I've noticed the CA level dropping quite fast so I was wondering which product I should use to maintain my calcium at an appropriate level. Right now I'm using Reef complete by seachem. I will soon use ans ATO system and was thinking of adding the calcium in the top-off water. Any thoughts?

thats a very common approach adding kalkwaser to your top up solution... I would buy bulk kalk to save $ and keep testing your Ca levels and you will figure out how much you should be adding.

shaggydoo541

I used to do kalk but it didn't raise my levels enough and can cause pH issues. So now I use home made 2 part. Easy, cheap and much more effective.

I have a clam and SPS in my tank & I just use C-Balance 2 part. You can pickup 2 1/2 gallon jugs for around 40 bucks that will last a long time. Works great.

well first of all I've finally received the bulbs for my Aquactinics t5 and...wow it is SOOOO cool!! It's been only 20 minutes since I've put it on my tank and the corals seem already happier than they were under 150W HQI lol.

I'm not sure I understand that 2 part thing...could you explain a little? sorry chemistry and I are not such a good mix lol.

thanks

it a t5 set-up. 5 HO bulbs with individual reflectors. I used MH but just way too much heat. My own room was an oven, and I had to raise the MH 16'' over the tank not to boil my livestock.

For bionic do are you using part A and B?

I use bionic and its so good i only dose once a month. whats your lighting btw?
ssirishpride

i have found that using a 2 part is an easier way of having control over the ca/alk-kh in a smaller system. i have a feeling that it is keeping the whole system more stable than say using kalk with topoff water. just my .02

I'm not sure I understand that 2 part thing...could you explain a little? sorry chemistry and I are not such a good mix lol.

thanks

1 part is to Ca & the other part is for Alk.

You dose the same amount of each to keep your tank balanced.

i have found that using a 2 part is an easier way of having control over the ca/alk-kh in a smaller system. i have a feeling that it is keeping the whole system more stable than say using kalk with topoff water. just my .02

Totally agree.

Archived