ReefCleaners.org

Diesiesed Open Brain?

BIGBOB

I recently purchsed an open brain coral from my LFS. They had it displayed in such a manner that you could not see the last polyp on it, and I didn't realize this untill I got home. For the price I was thrilled to obtain such a specimen as this one. Anyways, one of the polyps in the outer edge is completely bone and it is dead. There are just spiked of bone where the polyp used to be, and there is this wierd purple sheet like substance matted over it. So obiously that section of the coral is dead. It has not spread into the rest of the coral yet either. What do you think this is, and should I take any plan of action, or just leave it be.

• 1 month later...

Dank,

DUDE! I think you need to chill and go smoke some budda. I don't see anything wrong with this question.

Bigbob- I don't have a answer to your question. Sorry.

Chris

Sounds more like a torch coral, frogspawn or blasto. Why? Because GOB's don't die in just one section. It would affect the whole coral.

If this is NOT a GOB, snap off the affected head and discard. Keep an eye on whatever remains. If this is in fact a GOB, remove it from your tank and take it back.

Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...

You can have tissue recede from one of the skeletal lobes, if that is what you mean. I had some recession once because of another coral stinging it. I moved it and over time it grew back over. You might make sure it is nice and healthy (other than the bare area) and try breaking off the dead section, but you could destroy the coral too.

Candy cane corals look like little open brains too though and they have multiple "head" or "polyps". :)

Archived