Pod Your Reef

emerald crab with a taste for Tridacna...

Brooklyn Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

A few weeks ago I noticed tiny piece of my blue maxima's mantle had been taken off. I figured it a freak occurance and was happy when I noticed it growing back, and it's now thankfully back to normal. Well, at the end of last week I was watching my tank and noticed my emerald crab hovering around my green maxima. The little #%$^%#@ proceeded to innocently and cutely probe over my clam with his claw, then WHAM, he clamped down on the mantle so fast that by the time the clam reacted it was too late. The clam was closed yet the crab stayed latched on for a couple of seconds, until I whacked him with my turkey baster. The green max was startled for a while and remained closed, but has since opened and is almost 100% healed now.

I watched the bastard for another 30 minutes and he did the same thing to my purple max, although my purple max faired better and shook him off faster. Needless to say, regardless of my wife' comments on how cute he was, I devised a plan to yank him.

From my summers of crabbing in Sheepshead Bay and the Jersey Shore I used the same concept. I knew food would draw him out, but I needed a trap that would seperate ALL of his legs from the liverock so that the bastard couldn't hang on. I took some 1" silicone tubing and threaded some thread through it, attaching a shrimp on the end. I dangled the shrimp out the one end, coaxing him finally into the silicone tubing after an HOUR X) . I did have the heart to bring him back to the LFS, but I can say that NEVER again will I take the chance.

EMERALD CRABS ARE NOT WORTH IT:

1. I had mine for about three or four months, and he had never caused a problem that I could see. He went from good to bad, possibly from the exhausting of his food supply, even though I feed VERY heavily.

2. He was SMALL. I have heard of many problems, usually with larger crabs. IMO there are no such things as good ones, just ones that haven't gone bad yet.

I knew full well of the risks, and was willing to sacrifice polyps or zoos, but never my precious clams!!

After doing some searches I have now found other people who ran into this problem.

Anyway all is well now that the bastard is gone. I just wanted to throw out another warning to people. Many say "Mine has been a model citizen," as I did. Be aware though. If I wasn't at my tank the other night things could have gotten worse.

Johnny

Brookyln:

Thanks for the update. I almost got one to eat some bubble algae I have brewing. I will be sure to avoid them. I can see how they could hide that evilness behind that cute little face!

Brooklyn Johnny

No prob Jahkaya... As I said most people wouldn't care about a polyp or two, but to think he could have wiped out a $50 centerpiece organism in minutes is a different story... or for that matter my 4 clams :*(

I watched my mithrax do some damage to my maxima. The crab was picking at the shell and kept snagging clam meat. the clam shook the crab off and the damage was minimal but I was always watching the crab and chasing it away from the clam.

Stupid crabs.

ill keep an eye on mine.

Today during my re-scape i removed my 1 large one for 2 teeny boppers.. Lets hope they stay on the righ side of the tracks.

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's the damage he did... thank God it'll grow back... anybody have clams and emerald crabs together out there?

Archived