Innovative Marine Aquariums

55 gallon advice

TheUnfocusedOne

TheUnfocusedOne

i am going to be setting up a 55 gallon tank, and i was wondering what the best stuff for it would be.

the goal is to keep some anemomes, some clown fish, and few soft corals and some other fish. we might consider getting a 75 gallon so we can get a blue hippo tang.

any an all help is appreciated.

thanks guys!

I say go with the 75 if you want a blue hippo. Youll regret not getting it after everything is all said and done if you go with the 55.

What kind of corals do you plan on keeping? Sized sump?

All this info would be helpful for people that are trying to give you input.

Good luck

TheUnfocusedOne
I say go with the 75 if you want a blue hippo. Youll regret not getting it after everything is all said and done if you go with the 55.

What kind of corals do you plan on keeping? Sized sump?

All this info would be helpful for people that are trying to give you input.

Good luck

umm, i dont know about sump size to be honest, any suggestions would be great appreciated

as far as coral probably mushrooms, leathers, things of that sort. maybe some lps that dont need alot of light

were not sure how intense were gonna go on the lighting to be honest, i mean for sps u need 9-11w/g, and thats alot of watts of lights.

OK I'm having a hell of a time with my 55G Don't get me wrong I love it...but I have noticed that a 75G would have helped me out a bunch! Such as working in a sump at the bottom of your tank...its hard finding something 10.5'' that will fit down there! Also a little wider of a tank is a bit nicer for aquascaping! I wish that extra space would have fit in my tank spot!!! Oh well ya gotta hate small houses! Anyway if you can go with a pre-drilled reef ready aquarium so much easier than trying to make your own...trust me!!! All of this is worth the couple bucks extra you will shell out.

...its hard finding something 10.5'' that will fit down there! Also a little wider of a tank is a bit nicer for aquascaping!

All of this is worth the couple bucks extra you will shell out.

Second your motion :)

EAW

(EDIT: Wow....my first post after lurking so long.....)

Second your motion :)

EAW

(EDIT: Wow....my first post after lurking so long.....)

+1 on that. I dirlled my 58 and don't get me wrong I love my 58 but so much easier and probably quieter if it had been RR.

i would say if you want a blue hippo tang dont go anything smaller then a 180, tangs are an open water fast swimmer that in a confined space, ex. a 75, they can get stressed and possibly die, i know you will prolly say oo well we are going to get a small one, thats all fine and dandy but then what are you going to do when it gets 6-7" long and is going to go nuts in such a small tank?

i dont recommend the tang but i will help you out on your equipment, for lighting i would say that 2-150W MH pendants for lighting would be perfect (anemones need strong light and a 75 is a pretty deep tank to light), if you want a duck and dawn affect going with 2 36" Super Actinic T12VHO bulbs hooked up on an icecap ballast (by far the best actinic bulb that will bring out more colors in corals then any T5HO bulb could), for the sump i would try and go with a 29G sump, its just under half the size of the tank (i try to use a sump at least half the size as the display in all of my tanks or any tanks i setup), for a skimmer i would say oversize alot because you can never overskim and you know you are going to want to go bigger in the future, since your going wit softies i would say having a ton of flow is not needed i would try and use a return pump that has a turnover rate of about 15x an hour through the sump (around 1500GPH is a good size i think), for more flow in the tank i would say that two powerheads will be good enough, i would personally go for the best and use two Tunze 6055 nano streams on a multi controller and having them cycle back and forth, if you dont want to spend that kind of money i would use two Koralia 4's (the tunze knock off from hydor), rock i would try and go with about 125 lbs, i would use fine sand and would try and get the powerheads lower down in the tank but pointing up more then down to make sure you arent going to stir up the sand

Archived