Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Moved tank, now what?

shutterbuggy

shutterbuggy

So while checking out the online classifieds of "Used <insert Canadian city name here>" some weeks ago I came across an ad of a guy wanting to sell his 110 gallon tank. I have seen many SW tanks for sale there many times, but the price that he was asking for it was too good so I decided to take the plunge. Fast forward to today (err, yesterday? The last 36 hours are somewhat of a blur!) and I am now the current proud new owner of a large SW tank (YAY!)

The system came with:

-Tank and Stand

-HOB SeaClone protein skimmer

-Fluval 405 filter (less than 2 months old)

-Ballast/VHO lighting (not enough for my liking so I am switching/adding (?) 400w MH

-90 lbs sandbed

-100+ fiji LR (seems a little low (?), but I will be combining my 24 nano in about a month with the 35+ lbs of Indonesian LR from there as well.

-2 cucs (tigertailed)

-Blue Regal Tang

-Yellow Tang

-Mandarin Dragonet

-a black and white fish, not sure of species, will have to check

-some coral; mushrooms (hairy, red and blue) Frogspawn, Candy canes, ect....and of course snails and hermits --can't forget them!

We tried (and failed miserably!) to keep the sandbed intact, but when that was just simply not an option, we removed it into buckets and returned it to the tank when we got home. Once there, we added some sea water, stirred up the sand really well and removed the water and detrius/bacteria. This was done twice --was it enough? We were told to do so when moving a mature tank, but now I have got to wonder "did we rinse well enough?" In my haste to get the fish/inverts returned to their home, I forgot to remove 2 or 3 cups (right amount?) of sand before it was rinsed to reseed the rinsed sand. Can I not just use the sand in my existing 24 gallon? Should I be concerned that the tank is going to crash? All these questions swirling, I sort of feel new to the hobby all over again! Is there anything that I've over looked? Be gentle on me, Please...

Archived