Innovative Marine Aquariums

Water directly from the Ocean?

XingTheChannel

XingTheChannel

I live near the beach and the ocean here isn't polluted.

Can I use sea water in my nano instead of adding those 'fake salts'?

And what about the sand? It is clean, fine sand here where I live. But should I take the dry or the wet?

What do you think?

:blush:

SeaMountain
Originally posted by XingTheChannel

I live near the beach and the ocean here isn't polluted.

Ocean not polluted?! Where is this at? B)

Unless you live on an island in the pacific or on the east coast of florida and can go out a few miles, I would NOT recommend it. Any water in So Cal is crap and would be useless. There is much bacteria (good and bad) in the water. Just take the time to make your own water. If you do happen to live in Hawaii (lucky bastage) you could try it, but it is not recommended. Too many varibles that could not be accounted for.

I use natural water... You need to research on chemical levels in your area and that will tell you if the water is decent or not. Be sure and always collect on INCOMING tide and never after bad weather/rain.

Raise:

We got better waves here, but damn you've got nicer water. And you got some good reefs out there. I bet you still have some back IO water, do you not?

Hehe it is true about the waves, DAMN YOU! haha

The water has been good here recently. A few weeks back we did have a pretty bad time with water. But it has since cleared up and has been spick n span..

Sorry for the retardation but, whattya mean by "some back IO water"? Hehe, too much sunburn and saltwater to think further :P

Thanks

ok, thats what I thought. Man to be honest, I have NEVER once used synthetics in any of my tanks..

Ive been lucky in that ive never had to do an emergency WC when the weather was bad or the tide was F'ed. :)

So far so good....

BTW- send some waves to THIS side puhleese! ;-)

I once read that when collecting natural water one should keep it in a sealed black container for 4 to 6 weeks - apparently a die-off occurs and all the grunge falls to the bottom of the container. Simply siphon out the majority of clean water and discard the rest. The nutrient balance remains mostly unchanged, just no live goggas to interfere with the tank.

Apparently. Perhaps also add a pinch of salt.

XingTheChannel

OK, I've checked with a guy here that keeps 4 SW tanks only with natural marine water from our area. The tanks are fantastic, really. He goes to the sea, gets the water and puts it in the tank ASAP (meaning 10 minutes after he gets it).

And, you know Seamountain, some people here in this forum live in unpolluted areas in the world (out of the USA). I suppose that if there are hippocampus where we swim, the water simply has to be clean. Or am I wrong and hippos survive in dirty water? I don't think so...

I'll give it a try, guys. Will let you know the results.;)

Nishant3789

yeah im interested in that too..............maybe keys water, i wish i lived near the ocean............

XingTheChannel

Raise, waves are OK, dude! Last weekend there was a championship on the beach where I go here - sandy bottom, part of a 'National Marine Reserve Park'. If you prefer rocks, just have to drive 60/70km and there you are, waves all year round. I've surfed (bodyboard) 4.5m in September here (calm sea with sets rising like 50/100m from the beach). During winter waves are ok on the sandy bottom here if, like now, they're coming from southeast. I'll surf one 4 U tomorrow afternoon!

:woot:

XTC; Raise:

From what I hear South of portugal has very similar weather to So Cal, Just Atlantic water. The Waves are good and the water's warmer. The weather is really nice on the coast, very, temperate.

Am I right XTC?

XingTheChannel

Yes, you're right Jahkaya. :)

Water was 19C the other day. Outside it was 29C. The weather is mild, with short-not-so-cold winters.

A nice place to live. Except in August when it seems that half of Europe lands here to get a tan... and I'm out for the entire month. Like my foreign friends say "You live INside the postcard photo all year and that's why you run away when it gets crowded".

Hugs!

haha, crowds shmowds! I run too :)

Yes please catch a couple for me! I had my fix last week but who knows how long Ill have to wait for another swell to come my way :(

In august im getting the F out of here and going to Costa for 2 weeks. My favorite 2 weeks of every year :P

Archived