SaltCritters.com

Open Brain devours Hermit Crab.

goldenmean

So lights have been off on my tank for an hour and a half or so.

Blue lunar lights are on and I am not sleepy so I grab to flashlight to do a bed check on the tank. I notice my red open brain (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi) has closed up but I see a hermit in the middle of the brain and it is closing up on him. So the hand of god (chopstick) comes to rescue this smaller hermit and I flip him over to safety. I check to see that the Brain is okay and I can see the legs of another hermit inside the Brain and the brain has totally engulfed this hermit.

The hand of god does not try to rescue this hermit cuz I do not want to damage the brain. So what is supposed to happen will happen.

Im guessing that the 2 hermits were on the rock above and fell into the middle of the brain. I fed my tank oyster eggs for the first time this evenings so The Brain must have really had his appetite going.

I am not worried about the crab but I am a bit concerned about the brain.

The crab could do damage from the inside. And if the crab does become a midnight snack How will the Brain expell the shell.

Do Open Brains regurgitate?

Eventhough my camera is on its tripod right by my tank I could not get a pic of the second most unfortunate crab. I only saw his little legs for about 30 seconds before the was totally out of sight.

Right now the Brain just looks like he normally does with the lights out.

And who said Snails were STUPID?

Poor hermit! But--very fascinating, biologically! For anyone who forgets that corals are carnivorous animals...

--Diane

Lights have been on for about 5 hours and the Open Brain is a big and open as over.

I think he is waiting for another crab to drop in.

This morning when I woke up the Brain was as small as I have ever seen him and the hermit's shell was showing. A couple hours later The shell was on the sand.

Empty of course!

Archived