Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RO/DI unit in laundry room?

Beretta

I was perusing melev's reef the other day and noticed he is selling ro/di units the other day. Has anyone bought one from him? Seems like he's selling a high-quality unit, but I don't know what the brand of it is.

Also, since I live in an apartment, messing with the plumbing under the sink is out of the question (there isn't enough room to mount a unit anyway), I was thinking about mounting the unit to the wall where my washing machine is. He also sells a hose bib where you can just run a y off the cold water line, and attach the hose bib to one side and the intake for the washing machine to the other. Do you just put the rejection line off the ro-di unit into the drain hole for the wastewater from the washing machine? If I can do this, the only thing I have to do is mount the unit to the studs in the wall, and don't have to mess with any extraordinary plumbing. I'm mainly seeing if anyone has done something like this, or for someone to give me a credible reason why it wouldn't work.

I have done exactly this...well minus the buying my stuff from Melev's Reef. I t was a nice easy way to plumb and mount it. Also bought a 25 gallon storage tank to hold RODI water which sits next to the washing machine. Pump sits in there for ATO. Nice and compact.

Mine isn't in the laundry room, but I have it hooked up exactly how you described it..

As a matter of fact, I just hooked it up yesterday. Goes on the faucet for the garden hose in my garage, and i have the waste water outlet just drilled into a drain pipe that happened to be running by where I installed it.

I got mine from filterdirect on ebay...couldn't be happier with the service and the unit, for $130 shipped (110GPH, 6stage)

floridaricordia
just run a y off the cold water line, and attach the hose bib to one side and the intake for the washing machine to the other. put the rejection line off the ro-di unit into the drain hole for the wastewater from the washing machine? mount the unit to the studs in the wall,

Exactly how I have mine. The Y has an on-off valve and I turn it off after I make water for water changes or top-off. Have had it this way since last Aug and works fine.

Ignore the extra hose hanging there. It goes to my hiker backpacking water filter. Just hang it there to dry out.

8473RO_unit-med.jpg

Thanks for the help. My unit should be shipping soon, and I'm going to install it as soon as I get it. Gone will be the days of hauling 100 lbs of water up a flight of stairs every two weeks, and hauling flats of water bottles up said stairs.

Archived