Innovative Marine Aquariums

A good miniral suppliment

WorldNation

WorldNation

cna someone recommend a certain miniral suppliment for my 10g nano. i know i should be adding calcium. but what else?

also, what does iodine, and magnesium do to a nano tank?

a good 'spectrum' additive like kent's coral-vite or similar is good. i dose everything under the sun but in controlled amounts (except for iodine :blush: which i glop on but that isn't recommended). strontium would normally be the next metal/element to add but again check how much is recommended by the mfg for your size system. they're are also various buffers and other trace elements that their 'need' really depends upon what's already using it (the specific additives) in your system.

iodine is used directly by a number of animals into their tissues and/or processes. it also provides an anti-bacterial effect but i find this more indicative when i use lugol's iodine (more free iodine) more than when i use just potassium iodide by itself. holmes-farley at reefs.org had a recent article on iodine in their online magazine (March or April?).

magnesium is used in chlorophyll, coral skeletons, and coralline algae. (probably a couple of other places but i dunno about them :P )

Depending upon your stocking levels, or livestock goals, don't forget that a lot of your trace elements will be replenished with regular water changes. Supplementing is great when used correctly, otherwise it can be the equivalent of lighting a candle with 10 matches instead of just the one that would suffice. Same results, overkill on the execution. Base your supplementation on the needs of your inhabitants.

Archived