ReefCleaners.org

filtration for 125 gallon ?

Luis

Hello

I was thinking of 2- Aquaclear 500 for water circulation - remora hang on skimmer for a 125 gallon FOWLER tank I intend to set up .

Enough circulation ,any input,etc? I am going with hang on tank stuff no sump .

Tank will have about 100lbs live rock its for small fish clowns-damsels inverts will be feather dusters some snails,hermits but no light needing inverts as going to use flourescent lighting.

Not sure if filtration ,water circulation will be enough.

Thanks

Luis

shaggydoo541

For a fish only tank, circulation is not much of an issue. I am a flow nut though so I would throw on a dart on a cl.... kidding. I think what you have could work. Keep an extra pump in mind in case it doesn't seem like enough movement. Maybe one of those new magnetic koralia (?sp?) pumps that you can just hook on anywhere... they put out a lot of water movement and can be magnetically placed anywhere, very nice.

another hundred lbs of live rock would go a long way for filtration.

A remora is not going to do anything on a 125 fowl imo. They are more messy then reef's so better skimming is probably going to be needed.

another hundred lbs of live rock would go a long way for filtration.

A remora is not going to do anything on a 125 fowl imo. They are more messy then reef's so better skimming is probably going to be needed.

Thanks I am going to look into Remora before getting one thought it might be best for 125 but now will look at other skimmers. It didnt occur to me that it would be messier but your right since its mostly small fish

I only use 1lb live rock as not into 2lbs per gallon to me it causes to many spots without circulation,dead spots ,less water and find 1lb has always been enough for my smaller reef.

Granted some sware by 2lbs so its up to individual for me 2lbs which I had was "overkill".

thanks

For a fish only tank, circulation is not much of an issue. I am a flow nut though so I would throw on a dart on a cl.... kidding. I think what you have could work. Keep an extra pump in mind in case it doesn't seem like enough movement. Maybe one of those new magnetic koralia (?sp?) pumps that you can just hook on anywhere... they put out a lot of water movement and can be magnetically placed anywhere, very nice.

Thanks the tank is going to be delivered Wed . Going to order the 2 aquaclears today and look into skimmer hang on types as no longer sure of remora.

Going to look into the pump also as I love current . The Koralia that can be hooked up anywhere sounds good as dont want a sump.

Thanks

hmm i dont know if two aquaclear 500's are enough for filtration, i have 200 lbs of LR, an aquaclear 70 (next size down from the 500) with chaeto, a fluval 205 with foam filters, carbon, phosphate media, and purigen in it, and i have a precision marine bullet 1 skimmer, on top of that i do 20% water changes and run another pound of carbon in my filter floss and i still have an algae problem

Archived