Coral Vue Hydros

How much temp increase after lighting upgrade?

swordfish

Right now all I have for lighting over my 7 gal. minibow AGA is the 14 watt tube the thing came with. I am interetsed in possibly upgrading this, and if I do so I'll probably have the recommended 30 watts or so of light shining on the tank. I read somewhere around here about the recommended formula for watts/gallon, but the hell if I can find it anywhere right now.

I keep the tank as it is with my damsel in it at 79 deg. That goes up a little during the day since, well, I live in Texas and when it gets to be 100 out, the lowest ambient air temp my apartment's air conditioner can achieve is 77. At night of course this is not a problem since it isn't that hot at night. I have no aversion to maybe having the lights on at night instead of the day, at least in the summer months. I mean why not? I'm usually home at night more anyhow.

If I add the amount of light I need, will the temp really go up that much? Or more to the point, how much *will* it go up? I'd add a fan to the lighting untit but as far as I know they're all noisy as hell so I'd rather not. If this means getting a chiller then thanks but I'll stick with the lighting I have. That's one financial vortex I'd rather just not get pulled into right now. I have about $40 max to do this, not $140.

Thanks,

Jeff

Your best best for around your budget would be a 32w supernova kit by custom sealife. You can see it here...

http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001...g/pc_retro.html

About 1/3 down the page you'll see it and it's around $50. It's 32 watts and a good upgrade for the stock lights. I never had any temp problems with it but it will raise the temp a little. It's hard to give you an exact number as everyones will be different but I'd guess around 2 degrees or so.

Cameron

Archived