SaltCritters.com

What about these Wal-Mart lights I keep hearing about?

swordfish

Chamkeeper said something in a post about using two Wal-Mart lights (for about $5 each) to do an upgrade with. I've e mailed him but gotten no details back yet. Can anyone fill me in on the brand name, where they are to be found in the store, a pic of the box they came in, etc?

thanks,

Jeff

The Wal-Mart here no longer carries the lighting fixtures that he was probably talking about, but do carry the bulbs. They were in the table top lamp area and ours had a plastic funky colored surrounding. The bulbs stood up instead of sideways and all of the components were found in that lamp, instead of having to buy them separate. I have heard some say that their bulbs were not 65, so check it first. I do not recall the brand name but have seen it mentioned here, might want to search for it. Lowe's/Home Depot also carry a light, in the workshop lighting area, that are good to use, but again check the bulb. Good Luck!

Angel

Chamkeeper

I know for a fact the Bayco Double Lights are crap. These lights I am talking about are like Angel said in the table lamp area. They have a blue plastic case and fold up. I will try to get a pic posted in the next day or so, along with some pics of my hacking.

The double lights are cr@p, but the single ballast lights are said to power a 50/50 that Hellolights sells. I'll find out in a week or so when the Hello's come in. I've already built the custom hood, ballast box, and fan. Everything works great so far, as long as the ballasts will power the 50/50. I am having heat issues even with a fan in the hood, but I think I can remedy that with improved vent locations in the hood. I used the shop lights in the auto section of walmart. I took the ballasts and switches and one recepticle and put them in a radio shack small project box and mounted them to the back of the hood with a fan. I'll put some pics up of it in a few days so you can see. I capped off the handle end of the lights, and sealed them so they are water proof. The lights cost me $20 a piece, and came with 6500K bulbs.

my baycos work great . power a 50/50 on one and a 65 k on the other but im gonna go to all 50/50's for more blue in my tank,Chris

Archived