Pod Your Reef

Review my plan please

donkeykong

donkeykong

I have had a 80gl reef tank for a year and have been doing great with it. I am now going to do a nano.

My plan is as follows:

10gl glass tank

10lbs of LS

15lbs of LR

2x36watt PC

and a penguin mini for water movement and a place to add carbon or anything else needed.

I plan on having clams,sps, and more. I also want to keep 2 pink skunk clown fish with a host and inverts.

I have done plenty of research when I started my 80gl reef and I am actually a Moderater for another Message board. But there is not to many users there with nano experiance.

Any advice, hints or just general comments will be appreciated.

the ls i think is fine. in my 10 i used just enough to cover the bottom with about as much rock as you have planned. basically the same setup. you can see my tank in the members forum. everything sounds good but sps is going to be a little hard to keep as well as clams once they grow larger and need more light. it can be done but take it slow. your tank system sounds good...i suppose you are going to get a heater also as well as some powerheads for movement. i had a penguin mini and 2 small powerheads

I have a 10 gallon reef tank and have had success with a "Compact Pendant" with three 32 watt bulbs. Check out http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001...ing/pcpend.html

It's a nice piece and I am very happy with it. Champion Lighting is very nice on the telephone and the prices are fair.

I know there is disagreement regarding protein skimmers for nano reef tanks... I am using a hob skimmer and can't believe the amount of crap it removes. I am also using a "Marineland 301" power head for water movement. I think you'll need more than the Mini for water mevement. I bought 20/20 LR/LS. It's working well but would go with 15 LR to free up some space. I have just added a drip doser to my set up. It's made for "Kalkwasser" and is great for replacing evaporation and keeping salinity stable. Good luck... Kenny

Archived