Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shrimp - how many and who's best?

sykospark

Haaallo!

I am looking to start a 10g.

I would like a shrimp as part of the clean up crew (along with a few astrae snails and an emerald crab).

I originally wanted a peppermint shrimp, but after looking around on these forums, I see they are guilty of eating yellow polyps (which I am interested in keeping).

Any reccomendations on a better shrimp? (Coral banded, perhaps?)

And how many should go into a 10g? Just one, unless there is a need for more?

Thank you! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Peppermint shrimp are always hiding

under rocks from my experience. I have been told that camel back shrimp are usually visible in the tank, out in the open. In this way camel back shrimp may be preferrable to peppermints. I'm going to get a camel back but haven't yet. I just don't want my shrimp dying under rocks waiting for me to fish them out after it's too late and the tank is already contaminated.

Bucket o Chum

Camal back shrimp are NOT REEF SAFE. Get a Scarlet Cleaner shrimp. They are colorful and will often show themselves out in the open. They also make great scavengers.

I bought 3 peppermint shrimp for my 20H and wish I hadn't. They are always hiding under my rocks, the only time they come out is during feeding time. If I had to do it over again I would get cleaner shrimp or blood shrimp even though they are a bit more expensive.

I would say 2 - 3 shrimp in a ten gallon would be fine. I think more than that would be a bit crowded.

Stay away from the Banded Coral Shrimp!! I just got rid on one last night. He kept eating my red and blue legs, plus he chewed an arm off one of my sand sifting stars!

Evil Bastard!!

LITTLEFISHEE

I love my skunk cleaner shrimp. He's always on display in the middle of the tank. I think he does a good job on eating the fish parasites, too.

Well, I have two peps, but no yellow polyps, and find them to be the most active little things. They haven't given me any reason to get rid of them and have the best personalities. Maybe I am just lucky, dunno. They are all over my hand, when it is in there, and are some of the best cleaners that I have ever seen. I was also told that they were going to stay hidden, but tried anyhow. I am so glad I did. They are never hidden, unless startled, and are always on the move.

My blue leg hermits disrupt the layout of the rocks and corals to much for my taste. I have a snail, that was a hitch hiker, and some turbos. Them and the shrimp take care of my tank nicely.

I have heard horror stories about the camel shrimp enough, to stay as far away from them as possible. I would love some sexy shrimp, just don't like the starfish leg eating idea of having them.

There are many choices you can have. Good luck!

Angel

Ditto on the camel shrimp. As far as peps, I used to have one and I loved it! He died, but I'm getting another this weekend as I suddenly have an aiptasia problem again. My pep (scampi) had tons of personality. He was shy at first, but after a few weeks he was the bravest thing in the tank. He wouldn't hide from anything, I could put my whole arm in the tank and he would immediately come over to it and "clean" it.

Has anyone ever tried keeping lobsters in their tank? was just wondering how they would fare in a nano reef. My LFS has these lobsters called Debelius Lobster or a Purple/Orange Reef Lobster (according to LiveAquaria) and they're said to be reef safe and was just wondering if anyone's had experience with them....i hardly hear anyone mention about lobsters....is it not common in nano?? And for those with experience...can they be placed in a tank with other invertibrates like perhaps a banded shrimp or crabs etc?....

Lastly...has anyone had any experiences with Pistol Shrimps?...

LITTLEFISHEE

Personally, I would never put a lobster in a tank under 200 gallons. I've heard that Debelius lobsters behave pretty well in the reef tank. But, no matter what anyone says about their mature size, I think that they need plenty of room to roam.

I have three peppermint's in tanks throughout the house and love them as well. Very well behaved, comical to watch, don't get too big and leave everything (but aiptaisa) alone.

I saw a pair of harlequin shrimp at my lfs today. Too bad they only eat starfish as they were far and away the coolest shrimp I have ever seen. Gorgeous creatures.

freakaccident

Ummm....

Angel,

A sexy shrimp is not the same as a Coral Banded Shrimp.

I love the CBS honestly. Mine never ate anything it wasnt supposed to.

I have a peppermint that I havent seen in a month now. Is he alive still? I dunno. They do hide all the time. Stupid shrimp.

Ummm

Freak,

I did not say they were the same shrimp. There is a period between the two sentences.

I said "I have heard horror stories about the camel shrimp enough, to stay as far away from them as possible. I would love some sexy shrimp, just don't like the starfish leg eating idea of having them." I was speaking of a sexy shrimp and a camel shrimp.

Granted, I mixed up the eating habbits of the sexy and harlequin shrimp, :o but both are still cool.

Unless I missed something, or it is written in invisible ink, I made no reference to the banded coral shrimp at all.

Angel

what do you guys think about the tiger pistol shrimp? i plan on keeping a yellow watchman in my 7g minibow and thought it would be cool to have one...any thoughts?

digitallinx

I have a peppermint shrimp, usually hides during the day. But, at night I turn on the moonlights and I see him swimming everywhere.

freakaccident
Unless I missed something, or it is written in invisible ink, I made no reference to the banded coral shrimp at all.

I thought you were referencing Nepthea's statement about the CBS eating the starfish leg.

I like peps as well, I don't find that they eliminate aiptasia as well as advertised, they do eat it, but they take their sweet time doing it. However, they are by far the most comical shrimp to watch if perhaps not the most attractive. I think they're a good balance between utility and and fun to watch.

Originally posted by katydidit

what do you guys think about the tiger pistol shrimp? i plan on keeping a yellow watchman in my 7g minibow and thought it would be cool to have one...any thoughts?

anyone??

Katydidit...Do it. They're an awesome combo. I've got a little 2g Eclipse Explorer and I've had a pair for about a year and a half. They're so cool. I thought about possibly moving them over to my 90, but I didn't want to lose them in the huge tank. They're really interesting to watch and I know they won't hurt anything.

As far as other shrimp go, I'm thinking about adding both a cleaner and a blood shrimp to my 90. Supposedly, I've got 5 peppermints in there now, although I've only seen three of 'em out at a time, and I'd really like to have a shrimp that'll come out during the daytime and show himself off a little bit. We'll see. Might surprise the wife with them tonight.

What do you guys think? Will all of them get along?

Archived