How's this for a clean up crew?

CeeTee

This would be for my 20 long set up.

Tri color hermits-10

Margarita Snails-10

Fighting Conch-3

Scarlet Hermits-8

What do you guys think?

i'd back off the conches to one at the most or none even. if you just started i'd just go for the tricolor or blues and the margaritas. the scarlets are good but more sensitive (as are the ritas ime).

a startup cleanup crews should be cheap and simple imo, because you will eventually lose some of them to attrition no matter what (even some to predation). so i would save the costly ones until the tank is stable (i.e. scarlets, ritas, conches). all the crew members you listed are effective but more 'premium' than what i would select starting out. a more pedestrian crew would be the astrae, blues, maybe some nassarius for substrate turning. ymmv depending on the individual animal tho.

coralreefengr

Usually, the more you spend on them, the more likely they are to die. Diversity is important as well. Some of my favorite cleaners are baha cerith snails, mexican red leg hermits, strombus grazer snails. I have some margaritas. They are good glass cleaners.

Sometimes it's hard to get much diversity at your LFS, depending on where you live. I've made trips to several different ones just to find "some" of what I'm looking for, but I've had success ordering online. The best way to do that is to order a whole bunch of stuff at one time, or pool your order with someone else to help defray the cost of shipping.

CRE

Here's what I suggest:

10 cerith snails

10 nessarius snails

1 emerald crab

The reason is as follows:

Hermies destroy your microfauna and your tank will not have that natural look. Cerith snails eat cyano and algeas. Nessarius snails are the best sand stirrers alive in my opinion. The emerald crab will take care of all uneaten foodstuffs and things settled into your live rock. He will also take care of hair algae and bubble algae.

Archived