inTank Media Baskets

protein skimmers and tank stability

nut.meg

Hey all

I happen to have a spare protein skimmer - hang on back type - that I was thinking about adding to my 10gal nano.

The tank just started, so it isn't cycled yet - it's just LR/LS at the moment, but I've heard different things about skimmers in nanos.

I know it can remove trace elements which can prevent corals from flourishing, but if these were added back in, would the skimmer be of great benefit to the stability of the tank? I don't want to load it up - just a single clown, a goby, a shrimp and some other detrivores along with the corals - but regardless, 10gal isn't the most stable size in the world. I also have a biowheel mini on the tank - so with the LR/LS, is the skimmer even going to make a difference for the better?

the other benefit I see is that instead of the powerhead just taking water in and pumping it back out, it would be pumped out on the other side of the tank where there isn't as much water flow. Or should I just add a second PH?

Cheers

Meg

chvynva916

IMO, you really can't go wrong with a skimmer. The benefits definately outweigh the removal of some trace elements. This is not to say that you need one, but I say if you have one, use it.

Archived