Cultivated Reef

turbo snails

Uhuru

I got a couple turbo snails thinking they are workhorses to clean up my rocks. Everyone seems to praise their cleaning abilities. They've been sleeping in the same spot for the past 24 hrs. now. Lazy bastids.

FLcracker94

lol, give them time. Also, they might be good cleaners, but their bulldozers. Mine kept on pushing my palys off the rock, I had to put them in a safer spot. Their probebly just resting from the stress of shiping (if snails get stressed that is...lol...do they?)

Try moving them to an algae infected rock/glass.

Mine always thought the job is done when they move themselves to a small clean spot and everywhere else is an algae jungle. They are a little dim-witted, but effective eaters.

mine are always on the move. Yours may need to be put on an algae spot or it may die. I've had some that were starving and would not move at all. Move them to a place with algae, they started munching down. Since that day, they'll move every where in the tank to find food.

When I first got 2 turbos I had the same problem with one. He was a slacker and his buddy was doing work. Over time the lazy guy stepped it up, I would just wait it out and watch carefully to see if he is working the night shift.

ps- they will knock over anything so check you frags on a regular basis if you have them.

I got a couple turbo snails thinking they are workhorses to clean up my rocks. Everyone seems to praise their cleaning abilities. They've been sleeping in the same spot for the past 24 hrs. now. Lazy bastids.

Since I bought my tank in March, I've been through two turbos and they always end up as bate for the others (emerald crab, hermits, shrimp). The comments are right that they move/bulldose things (a pain) and clean up the algae (did a great job at that). I've since bought a couple margarita snails --I really like their looks and they seem to be as active as the turbos. They seem to be doing well.

seahorsedreams

Margaritas are cold-water snails and will slowly cook in our reefs.

How long did you acclimate the turbo for?

DESERTHEATRACING

My last two took to the back glass like no tommorow, could call them gt40R's for the tuner savy haha! They are just munching away!

Wonder about that (about the margaritas) -- they're 8 GAL happy for about 3 weeks now. Although some people just toss their snails in, I give them the same treatment as anything else. I float the bag for at least an hour with small amount of tank water added every 15 minutes. I get all kinds of opinions on the acclimation bit.

I, too, had a magarita that looked happy and healthy as could be for many weeks...but eventually died.

Snails can be very sensitive to tank transfers...

I had trouble with turbos at first--got a pair, and then a 3rd one that all died in a matter of weeks. Finally tried 2 more (small "zebra turbos") that are thriving and among the most active snails I've ever had.

Sometimes it's hard to know why some snails thrive while others dwindle. As long as your tank parameters are good and other life is doing well, I would not give up on turbos, even if your current ones do not revive...

Good luck!

--Diane

I think I got ripped off, but it was my fault. I bought "turbo snails" but they are not "Mexican turbo snails." They look similar, but they are some other type. I just did some researching and discovered this. These snails sleep all day and do a little work at night, but not much. It's pathetic. Anyways I ordered Mexican turbo snails this time so hopefully they will live up to all the hype.

dwscisciani

If you are referring to Mexican Turbos vs Astrea, I think they are the best algae eaters there are. I had been dealing with a pretty bad case of red turf algae that came in with a new rock and spread. Nothing would touch it, astrea, margarita, kole tang, foxface ( I have a 125), emarald crab, period. I was at my last straw when I bought 10 of these guys. Within 3 days they had scraped mulitple rocks down to the rock. Now I have no micro or macro algae at all. They did cause a minor avalache (they are big and powerful) but nothing that some epoxy didn't fix.

I think I got ripped off, but it was my fault. I bought "turbo snails" but they are not "Mexican turbo snails." They look similar, but they are some other type. I just did some researching and discovered this. These snails sleep all day and do a little work at night, but not much. It's pathetic. Anyways I ordered Mexican turbo snails this time so hopefully they will live up to all the hype.

If it was your fault, then you didn't get ripped off. :D Also, the species you have is doing what it can--try to appreciate it for what it is.

The names Turbo, Astraea, Trochus, and others are actually genus names that contain multiple spp each. At different times, different spp are common in lfs's...It does not help that the terms are used loosely in common practice, so that you hear about "Astraea turbos," etc.

I have also heard reports of recent collecting of sub-tropical turbos which, like margaritas, eventually die of too much heat in our tanks...

--Diane

PS: link for anyone who might be interested:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php

i don't know about you guys but my margarita snail is still doing fine. Mine has survived temps spiking up to 90+degree's and is still alive today. I've had it for almost 3 months now.

My margarita lived for approximately 5 months. For most of that time it seemed healthy and active. During the last month it became more and more lethargic.

my turbo snails arrived today! I was extra careful and did a 6 hr. drip acclimation. As soon as I put them in the tank they started cleaning. They clear out whatever they pass through, then move on. So far, these guys really do live up to the hype! I have a starboard bottom so I'm hoping these guys keep it white (until the corraline grows on it)!

Archived