Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

***IMPORTANT*** - Show Your Support!

AbSoluTc

I don't want to sound not supportive but isn't that still wrong to use nets.

Why don't we really support our hobby and only buy tank raised animals. My whole tank is from tank raised corals and fish. That is how I am being the most conservative and supportive to our hobby and the ocean.

Acoustic-

I am in agreement with you. I will purchase only tank bred/raised fish. However, those that do not - this is a step in the RIGHT direction. Even if you don't purchase wild caught fish, does that mean they should still use cyanide?

If we ever want to change the hobby, we have to be PRO-Active.

I just noticed this after I posted another thread. I'm Mary Middlebrook of Marine Specialties International- organizer of this netting fund. Although it's easy to say "just buy captive bred" that is not a reality. There are entire villages of people who depend on this industry to feed their families. And let's face it, there are no where near enough captive animals to support this industry right now. When fishing is done in a sustainable way, it's a win-win situation. The reefs aren't harmed and people are able to utilize their resource to make a living. I hope everyone here will take the time and donate any amount- even $1. It all adds up.

Agreed. Thanks for the input. I agree that right now buying all captive bred is not a reality for everyone. I'm just a spoiled socal guy that has 10 LFS within 30 minutes of my house. I will donate.

I am in total agreement with the both of you. Especialy Mary's point in that many villages suport themselves souley on the wild harvested coral trade. I have two friends that are from the FSM Islands. ( Federated states Of Microneasia). In their home villiage they are dependant on the reef industry as a way of life. They tell me they have a list of species that reproduce fast as well as a list that not only reproduce fast but are very hardy be it "wild" or captive bred. They ONLY harvest these species. They do not catch fish for the trade. They are only allowed to harvest a certain amount from a given space on the reef's. not the entire reef system. Although buying captive bred corals and fish is by far the best way to support our ecosystem in the ocean, You must realize they had to come from somewhere to begin with to be able to become captive bred.

They also harvest Walt Smith Live rock. This I see a real problem with. Although the corals are just as precious, the live rock is what makes the oceans clean and even our atmoshpere. as well as a suitable place for coral's to grow. I know that Live rock is formed from dead coral and all that. But we have to focus on what we have now. We dont have another million years left for the reefs to be reborn.

I will donate to your fund as well I just saw an oportunity to run my chop's and hopped on it! LOL!!

I agree with Acoustic. We should be supporting fledgeling US companies by buying only captive bred and raised species and making our own rock.

Swapping cyanide squirt bottles for expensive nets that will probably not be replaced when the money runs out is a waste of money in my view. If the exporters are serious about this, THEY would be providing the nets for the collectors and providing a good portion of the resources to ensure that the nets are being used on these sites. The government is there to ensure that the exporters do just that through regular auditing.

One other important point. Businesses do not exist for the purpose of keeping employees, contractors and economies alive. They exist to make money for the shareholders/partners/owners of the company. This business about supplying nets to maintain the livelihood of the collectors is absolute nonsense and, like a net holds, no water. If local laws in exporting countries dramatically curtail collection and that results in the collectors having to move away to the city because they lose their income, so be it.

The reef is far more important than the livelihood of a few collectors eeking out a pathetic existence in these remote locations. There is a reason why ivory hunters are shot on sight - they're just trying to eek out an existence too, aren't they?

Archived