Coral Vue Hydros

How important are actinics?

junglejim83

junglejim83

How important are actinics? I always see them as part of the equation with lighting. It makes sense to me on cooler light temps like 6500k bulbs b/c they dont have much of the light spectrum. However with bulbs like 10000k's are they as necesary(are the 10000k blbs still missinga crucial part of the spectrum)? Basically, why are actinics important? this is something I have never REALLY seen discussed.

Jim

coralreefengr

If you don't use any actinics, most people don't like the appearance of their aquarium. Usually it's too yellow. The light intensity is the most important factor, with color being more of a personal preference. I like the 10K because they are *really* white and then the blue takes the edge off and shows off my fluorescent stuff.

CRE

while actinics do provide color balance they also provide critical PAR (photosynthetic activating radiation) btw there are a couple of other different words used in that acronym. the chlorophyll is activated both at the red end 600+nm and at the blue end around 420nm.

supplying daylight bulbs only (<6700K) would eventually be insufficient for your livestock just as blue only would be. some of our livestock is only found at greater depths and predominately use blue, directly. these animals have no use for artificial daylight quality light. actually, some even use blue indirectly to make red light, which is more readily PAR i believe. i'm not sure if those 'conversion chlorophylls' can directly accept red light as they are embedded within the symbiont's cell (maybe, maybe not).

if you have high kelvin bulbs you could avoid using actinics altogether as that wave length of light is already supplied in the chemical mixture of those high K bulbs (i.e. running 20000K bulbs probably means you don't need actinics). actinics are just cheaper options that also happen to give really kewl fluorescing effects! B) hth

junglejim83

WOW, that was an awsome response. Thanks, i find the scienific end of things really helpful in truely understanding how everything works.

Jim

which actinics are the best actinics tho ?

are vho's 'better' actinic than PC's ?

and is there much difference in the various brands of PC actinic bulbs ? anyone ever tried a couple of different types ?

thanks,

You have to realize, actinic and blue bulbs are completely different. TRUE actinic spectrum is more purple/ultraviolet in color similar to a 20,000k spectrum and is what you would want to use for your coral. Some people just buy blue bulbs to give a better visual affect and are not adding the spectrum they should be. Try a pair of hellolights actinics if you haven't and see the difference. The true 03 also still gives a good flourescing effect.

Archived