Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cycling when 1/3 full

Panic

Can I cycle my tank (15G) with only the sand and base rock covered (ie. one third of the tank)?

What I'd like to do is syphon out the nitrate enriched water and top up the entire tank with "fresh" seawater, and then add a cleaner crew or snails and crabs.

Would the introduction of an entire tank full of water upset the now mature (or almost mature) setup?

how long have you been cycling and how far along is the cycle? i wouldn't put anything in the tank until you've cleared the nitrite stage at least. inverts will be still be sensitive to the nitrates tho so even cleaner crews aren't for a smooth ride even at that point.

you can cycle 1/3 filled, as long as the LR/LS is covered and the water is circulating (and stable temp) they should be fine. i'd start with hermits first and see how they do.

Well, I'll be filling my tank for the first time this coming weekend.

I was planning to keep it 1/3 full until Nitrites were no longer detectable (ie. cycle has run, only nitrates present) and then remove all the water to eliminate the nitrates to try control the algae before it becomes a problem. This is my main reason, to prevent the rocks from absorbing Nitrates and then leeching it back into the water.

I'd then add a few hermits and snails... and then a few small pieces of live rock etc. etc.

coralreefengr

Hmmm...never heard of nitrates absorbing into rock and then leeching back into the water. My understanding is that with the presence of nitrate, the bacteria that process the nitrate multiply. The more nitrifying bacteria you have, the more you can process. It is the processing of the nitrates that lowers the levels, not just the physical removal. Your rock needs to "cure" to work properly.

CRE

Archived