Top Shelf Aquatics

New here and I have a few ?s

ZooM

Hey! I have been a salt walter aquarium admirer for quite some time. I was steered away from big reefs due to the rediculous prices and huge amount of work. When I found out about nano reefs I was amazed. How could all that life survive in something so small? Well I've researched into the subject and I think I have a pretty good list of what I need to start off (fish and coral excluded). Please tell me if I need to add something more:happy:

- 7g bow front aquarium

- Tetra Tec PF 150 w/ heater

- CSL SmartLite-Retrofit 32 watt

- Power Sweep 214 Rotating Powerhead

- Live Sand

- Instant Ocean

- Live rock

:D Thanks!

Well, I guess I won't be able to get a 7gal minibow tank. I can't find them anywhere. What are some other good tanks in the 7-10 gallon range

Just get a plain old 10 gallon tank. Then you can go with the 55 watt combo too. Also if you go 10 gallon you get to buy a hangon skimmer which will be a very smart in decision.

c_k_kuehne
Originally posted by ZooM

Well, I guess I won't be able to get a 7gal minibow tank. I can't find them anywhere. What are some other good tanks in the 7-10 gallon range

The 7 gallon mini-bow is made by All Glass Aquariums

Go to any large retail fish store who sells All Glass Aquariums and they should be able to get you one in a relatively short time.

PetsMart is where most people get them.

They are really nice looking tanks (something different from your std 10 gal) and really should be a breeze to locate no matter where you live.

Trust me I got one and I live in the middle of nowhere.

chvynva916

Some things to consider (pros and cons).

1)-7-gal minibow is at least 5 x more expensive than a regular 10g ($50 vs 10). I'd rather spend the extra $40 on better lighting, or even corals.

2)-Curved glass in the "bow" is tough to clean

3)-Minibows are probably more asthetically pleasing

4)-The minibow hood (like any complete fitting hood) makes maintaince a little more of a pain.

5)-If you have a tetratec filter, you probably don't need any kind of sweeping or rotating powerhead. If you want extra circulation, something like a microjet will be just fine

I actually decided to make up a new list

-10 gal tank

-Tronic 50 watt fully submersible heater

-Minijet 404 powerhead

-Whisper 10-15 HOB Filter

What kind of lighting would be best?

DongShenYin

I have the MiniJet 404 and its excellent. It's MUCH quieter than the Rio 50 I used to have, and it doesn't throw out heat into the tank. Its a water pump, but that's just another word for powerhead anyway. Use it and love it.

chvynva916

For lighting, on Ebay right now you can get a 175w MH pendant for $100 with a 10,000k bulb. Perfect system. I would think about substituting the Tetratc Filter for the Whisper Filter - surge action is good.

Archived