ReefCleaners.org

Need opinions on possible frag tank. 30L

G-Force

Hi all, got a 24G AP since Feb '07 and enjoying the nano-reefing experience so far (other than the strange coral/fish deaths and missing fish bodies..those are so stressful!) until one day I saw HelFrich's thread on zoas and saw Marvin's thread. Well since then I've been on a mad rush to collect any and all zoas that I could get my hands on. Which meant the main display tank got overcrowded real fast. So I'm in the planning stages on making a frag tank from a 30L that I got from a frag trade.

I'm just looking for some suggestions/advice on what makes a successful frag tank.

Do I need live rock?

I'm gonna use my existing CPR Aquafuge2 Med for biological filtration with live rock and chaeto..is that enough?

Do I need a skimmer?

Most small frag tanks I see don't use one..is it because zoas like dirty nutrient rich water?

What lighting will I use?

Planning on getting a 150w 30" Sunpod. Will an Aquatrader 36" 250w MH w/2x65 PC be better? They also have a 24" model that's cheaper with the same lighting.

What type of fish can/should I keep to keep the nudis'/pests off the frags?

Planning to add my current Spotted/Target/Green Mandarin or a yellow Corise. FraggleReef has a few mandarins in it's tanks and they're fat as a MOFO!

What water flow will I use?

Planning on 2 Koralia 2's for water movement.

What additives have some of you bigger fraggers use to accelerate growth?

Thinking of just sticking to a simple 2 part regime, nothing else. Don't plan on keeping any SPS so calcium needs won't be an issue. Just mostly zoas and LPSs'.

and of course the necessary chillers/heaters will added.

THANKS EVERYONE IN ADVANCE! And here's a pic of my progress so far:

fragtank1.jpg

Nice !

I didn't answer anything cuz there is so much there--I feel like I would be writing a report!!

Go with it!!

Let the coral become you--and you the coral.

See the light---be the light, and let the light show you the way.

What I mean is- "What kinds of stuff do you like?"

And then you can figure out your lighting from there.

Ok..so my choices are sound. Good to know. I'm in the process of building a new garage that's 25x25. In it will be a "storage room" aka tank room..shhh, don't tell the mrs, so another month and this sucka will be up and running! Also with that upgraded garage will be an electrical upgrade to 200 amps! Woot!

Archived