inTank Media Baskets

shock in tank

tufty711

after just transfering a couple of soft corals litteraly as my hand was in the tank a giant bristleworm almost a centimeter thick popped out its head or end? and sprayed a red liquid into the water. Then about 30 seconds later another giant bristleworm popped it head or end out of another piece ofrock and sprayed a white liquid in the water????? what are they doing, is it a defense mechanism or maybe a breeding attempt?

any ideas. The corals didnt seem affected my this.

Also in a different tank a new britlestar is losing its legs about half way up, they seem to turn white underneath and drop off, i have only had this a week? The rest of the inhabitants are fine, any ideas again?

thanks ant

--------------------

thanks ant.

You have stimulated your bristleworms to breed. The liquids they were spewing were sperms and eggs. Your corals will benefit because they will eat the floaties. Some times animals will breed when they feel like they are going to die. Kinda like , "You may get me but I will still live on."

The starfish sounds like it has an infection. A pic would help.

deacon hemp

did you just get the star?A starfish will lose legs due to not being acclimated proper,or if your tank has salinity swings?this may not be the case but just to let you know salinity may be the prob.

Archived