Cultivated Reef

Overflowing Starphire Cube

kinktao

Might I ask where you got those solenoid valves?

Your tank is epic by the way

propz

thanks for the compliment. i got the solenoids from www.autotopoff.com they are a bit pricey.

john

i do indeed. are you apart of the sdreefs website? did i get the bulb from you?

john

nope but i'd like to purchase it, or trade for it or soemthing. I move to sd soon so I was checking the website out

Your plumbing and stand looks great. What did you use to cover the outside of the wooden stand.

I used 1/16" thick black glossy acrlyic.

• 1 month later...
Awesome freakin' tank dude!..and the zeroedge tanks cost some serious cheese.. about how much was the DIY version?

definitely more than a zero edge. haha. i kind of went all out on equipment and such.

but the tank, tray and stand probably cost a little less than a zero edge, probably saved only 100-200 dollars. Personally, i wouldn't want to buy a zero edge because it's acrylic. Starphire glass > acrylic any day.

• 4 weeks later...
AutoTopOff system

My original tank evaporated 2 gallons a day which is a lot for a 30 gallon tank.

But I've solved this issue and will never have to top off my water, nor refill a bucket to top off my water. Everything is taken care for me using a timer, an auto top off switch, solenoids, and RODI system. Some people think this is foolish since I could potential flood my house, but everything I'm using has a kill switch incase something goes wrong. Also, my auto top off system is on a timer that only allows it to refill my tank 4 times a day, for 5 minutes at a time to ensure that if something does go wrong, I'm there to notice.

Note that I do not use a float valve that opens the tubing for the RODI unit, i feel that's dangerous since a snail could easily flip it up and flood your house. Everything I use has a backup emergency switch to stop any problems.

FloatSwitch.jpg

Here you can see my double float switch. When water levels drop one switch will activate, signaling my solenoids to open to allow RO water to be trickled into the sump. Note that the second float switch is an emergency switch incase the first switch fails to shut off, the second switch will kill the first switch.

FTsumpAutotopoff.jpg

This picture contains the two solenoids. The solenoids remain closed when off, but once the float switch activates them they both will open up to allow water to pass through them. Note that two are used to ensure that one will at least be closed when they are not powered on.

RODI.jpg

I run a line directly from my tank to my kitchen which contains my RODI unit.

whered you get your solenoids from, and how much were they?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived