Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clueless

Morgan

Hi

I want to start about a 5-8gal salt water reef tank (nano reef) but everyone i ask about in my LFS looks at me like im crazy. I want to use some of the rock from my 33 gal salt tank and put Clarkie Clown fish in it too. I also want to be able to add basic and simple corals at a later date. What i need to know is what type of filteration and lighting i will need to use? Will i need to use a protien skimmer? Do they make them small enough to fit in the 5 gal tanks? Would someone please help me im clueless. And any other info would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you

Morgan

www.nano-reef.com/info

very broad questions you have, grasshopper. read up and refine the questions a bit and we can give you a better answer than 'it depends'.

imo 1st thing you have to decide is your livestock goal. then you can build your system around that (e.g. clown/anemone, coral-only, invert-only, reef traditional, specific aquascape, etc.). unlike the larger tanks that have a wider zone for 'oopies' and 'just one mo fish' incidences as the greater volume and space allow for later add-ons (e.g. sumps, refugiums, hob's, etc.); with a smaller tank you'll be more limited in your later 'choices' or "that's sooo kewl! B) i need it!" incidences. just a little more planning is needed for these smaller tanks than with our larger brethren, otherwise it's mostly the same processes to watch over.

Sorry

For corals i would like to put in a small Bubble coral and possibly a red Candycane coral and for fish i would have a Clown fish. Thats how i would like to start out anyway, Very simple. So what filteration and lighting would you suggest I use?

Morgan

You'll need a HOB (Hang On Black) filter, on my 5.5 I have the Penguin Mini made by Marineland. It works well.

Lighting isnt such an easy thing to tackle...but it is.

You can get many different lighting setups....by the sounds of it you could just use a basic PC setup...unless you wanna go balls out and get a metal halide... But lets just assume PCs for now.

When I first started my nano I had teh 48w JBJ Desktop Formossa which was a decent little lighting system. I supported plenty of soft corals and had some coralline growth after only a couple months..

I decided to upgrade and also wanted the look of a canopy for my little beast tank. I had DaveEspi (hes on "leave" right now but you'll see him on the boards soon enough) build me a little hood and I fitted that with 2x28 PCs.. That was a little pricier of a route but im happy with results.....

I think I basically covered some bases, lemme know if you have more questions.

Ray

Thank you

The aquarium setup I was thinking of purchasing is 5.5 gal and just has the incandecent screw in bulb lighting, so what they suggested was that i get 2 50/50 florescent bulbs (screw in the same place), each with 10w. Do you think this lighting is sufficient? Also will i need a protien skimmer?

Morgan

You wont NEED a protein skimmer...

It is an accessory you may look into later down the line.

20w is in the lower/middle range for a 5.5. Id try and find a used formossa or make a hood yourself.. Its retarded to skimp in the beginning because it is a proven fact that you will want to upgrade.. Trust me. Might aswell go a little bit overboard right now instead of later :)

How much is the little 5.5 setup you are looking at?

I pieced my system together, and it was stil very cheap..

5.5g All Glass Aquarium- $10

Penguin HOB- $20

Ebo Jager 50w Heater- $15

Complete lighting System(Hood, 2x28 Hellolights PC Ballast, 2x28w bulbs)- $120 +/-

MicroJet PH- $12

Livestock------thats totally up to you

For under $200 youd have a jamming little setup.. And you could probably find cheaper ways/deals. Im a non penny pinching sort of person...so im sure you could do it all for <$150.

It might be easier to find a used setup? Just a suggestion..

Archived