Top Shelf Aquatics

Critters from the beach

reefmania

I went to the Santa Monica Beach and pick up some critters to put into my tank.  So far so good.  Anybody do this or have comments?

anthony812

hahhaha..i was going to do the same but i am going to Laguna Beach..they have a SH*T load of Hermits there...if they do well...i am willing to ship start shipping those suckers out to the fellow nanoreefers for free...just pay for the shipping fee of course!  hahaha

rhinoivory

Hehehehe, scab styles rule!

Yeh I did that too, maintained a nano-NANO for two months! Mind you it had like 40 snils and a nudibranch and what looked like 3 emerald crabs!!! I have NO IDEA how i did it, the tank was 1 gallon.

I eventually sold the snails to the LFS, I got a pretty penny out of it too!! I also made my own counter-current bottle skimmer thingy. Cost me zilch!!!

Don

The hermit crabs from tidal pools will not live long in reef tanks. The temps are to high and they don't have the same food supply. They may kill & eat your snails, too. Don't ship them to anyone, it is slightly illegal to remove animals from tidal pools, and shipping them might change it to a felony.  

I hope you realize that you probably have some really nasty stuff in your tank now. Beach water, especially from LA, is full of crap, literally.

i thought of doing the same thing too but im from california.   the water in tide pools does get pretty warm though.  i even saw some cool gobies in the tide pools.  i was just too afraid of messing up my tank so i didnt try it.

(Edited by mxpro32 at 7:16 pm on July 1, 2002)

Yea, I used to bring things home from tide pools. Such as hermit crabs, macro algae, snails, octopus, green anemone, sea hares, etc. Non of these do well in reef tanks. They like to live in water under 70 degrees. Some of the snails are predatory, the hermit crabs are aggressive and will steel the shells from & possibly kill scarlet, blue legged hermits and small snails. If you want to keep a cold-water tank some of these animals will do OK.

Archived