Cultivated Reef

Frogspawn Split

johnstires

johnstires

I want to split a frogspawn coral becaue it is growing too large for my tank. There's a great spot to split it, but I'm afraid it is too close to the flesh of the new growth. I attached a pic. Does anyone think I can do it or will I cut into the flesh that is within the stony part? I really don't want to harm it, but I neeed to do something quick cause it is infringing on all my other corals. Thanks.

Nishant3789

take a hammer and chisell and just tap it trough with one brief movement, either that or a dremel tool should work, just be veryyy careful

johnstires

I'm not afraid of how to frag the coral, I'm just not sure if there will be soft tissue inside the stony part that I want to cut. Has anyone had any experience with fragging this close to the soft tissue?

I hope this link works. IT shows someone putting a rubberband around a nonbranching hammer to have the growth reced. Don't know if that's what you're looking for, but I hope it helps!

Just to ease your worries there is no soft tissue inside the branch. The animal only lives approximately 2 inches into the stem/branch.

johnstires

Thanks for the info. I might let it grow a bit. It's not quite 2 inches from the flesh. It has grown very rapidly in the past couple months. I'm afraid the tissue may go down farther than I expect. I'm also afraid I won't have enough stony base to anchor the coral.

Kalanianaole

If I were you I'd wait. I tried to break off a dead portion of a beutiful, deep green frogspawn similar to yours. If i remember right, the break was about 3 inches from the tip. The living tissue receded and melted away. It could have been from other issues it was having, but just be cautious. That's too good a specimin to lose.

coralreefengr

I've cut a branch off smaller than that with no problems to the remaining branches. The frag was fine as well. The flesh was not 2 inches away from where it was cut and there was no flesh inside the branch. I'm confident you can cut this branch off with no problems. We used a dremel to make the cut.

CRE

Archived