Top Shelf Aquatics

Toxins?

SeaFish

I did a search on tuxedo urchin a few days ago and foudn that when they die they release some kind of toxin. is this true? if it is true, how toxic are these toxins?

yes, it is indeed true.

If it is a nano reef, there may be room for concern since it could greatly toxify such a small volume of water. However, I had a pincusion urchin that died in a 14 gallon with some snails fish other urchins and seastars, and didn't do a thing. mind you it waz in there dead for about a day. So, i wouldn't really wory about it too much........since u will find most of these species and others are tocix when they die, but as long as you watch it every day, as it will start to suffer from cronic spin loss before death, (although minor shedding is normal) quarintene it before putting it in your display (especially if it is a mail order), and if it does die, do 50% water change, and in a period of 24 hours 100% water change, everything should be fine.

thank you for your quick reply. i have had mine for a three days now and so far its mow down an area completely free of algae now. since it is eating and pooping a lot. i guess it is healthy =)

Do you have corals in with it?

If so does the urchin bother them, like climb over them?

Also, is it depleating your coralline algae populations, or just nuisance algae?

i have several corals in my tank but never seen my urchin run anything over. and my urchin seem to only take off hair and brown algae and not coraline algae. i'll observe it for a few more days and confirm this with you.

Archived