Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

retarded cleaner shrimp

narow37

i have a 6 week old system with brand new additions. hermits have been in for basically the whole time, snails for the last 2 weeks, sandsifting star for 2 weeks, regal tang and cleaner shrimpfor the last 4 days and this ismy problem. the tang has mild to moderate white spot disease and it has continuosly presented itself to the cleaner shrimp and the shrimp just runs away. i treated the water yesterday with greenex for the first time. is there anything else i can do or has anyoneelse had this problem with their shrimp. thanks for any help

Ok.....Before any one gets a hold of this thread........I am going to say Hi and Welcome.

-At 6 weeks old you should have nothing in your tank but the snails and hermits.

-At 3 months old you can begin coral placement. Spaced weeks apart.

-Once your done with corals then you can add fish. One at a time spaced months apart.

You are going to have ALOT more problems with your tank unless you get rid of the tang. Your tank is not ready. Slow down.....relax.....and take time to enjoy the birth phase of your tank.

Your cleaner shrimp is not retarded he is probably just scared. I hope I was helpfull.

well acoustic i would disagree. 3 months to do coral? naww. 6 weeks and just hermits and snails naww. fish spaced months apart naww.

i would say start teh tank with lr and let it cycle. then you can add soem clean ups. fish and a few corals. then add a fe more corals every week or other week. dont add em too fast though. but you seriously dont have to wait 6 weeks for clean up critters or 3 months for coral. I agree with him on the tang and taking it slow though. the tang will soon outgrow your tank so be ready to trade him in or get a huge tank.

good luck

btw welcome to the boards.

tow is l33t.

narow. nice stack.

hope you figured out what to do with your eclipse

give the shrimp some time.

shrimp usually freak out when you smoosh your face against the glass to see them. good luck and yeah... welcome.

thanks for the info and sorry to leave out the fact that it has 70lbs of live rock and 40 pounds of live sand and the tank cycled just fine. also i new that i would have to trade the tang in at some point i just love the regals. thanks for any more info you would like to give.

The reason behind taking it slow is to allow your bio load to catch up biologically. Otherwise your numbers will fluctuate and will have a diatom outbreak or three.

(Note: I did not follow my own advice when I set up my tank. The hindsight thing )

Archived