ReefCleaners.org

Do you guys think a scwd will significantly help my tank?

junglejim83

junglejim83

I'm in the process of setting up my new 20 and i was considering getting a scwd wave maker. For those of you who have seen used(over time) or who have them do your corals and tank seem significantly healthier? I have read all the old posts about how they work and all and the theory about why the wvaes create a healthier environment. Does the theory hold true in practice?

Jim

Im not sure that you could see visible results...? Maybe

But id say hail yayah to the scwd on your new tank. Might as well

I think the results would be better in larger tanks. Nano's just don't have the volume to see the true results of wavemaking in my opinion. The idea is good but the application isn't big enough. It wouldn't hurt but I just don't see it being very benificial...

Cameron

I have one on my 20g, I love it. I dont need any additional power heads. Each outlet on the SCWD flows thru two 3/4 line-loc nozzles, for a total of 4 nozzles. I am flowing 800 GPH. It alternates about every 8-10 seconds.

I haven't noticed a difference in coral growth though.

HTH

junglejim83

Although i might look into getting a scwd in the future I think I'm gonna put that money toward an ac unit for my room in my apartment. I figure keeping the temp stable is way more improtant for now. ANd since the setup cost sucks, as is typical, I'm gonna hold off on the scwd and maybe a few otherpercs for now.

Jim

hey DAP, is your SCWD on a closed loop or is it a sump return ?

I've been thinking about a scwd for my 20g, but since my tank isn't drilled I was thinking of a closed loop with a mj1200 and a SCWD.

it would be nice to get some of the ph's out of the tank, i currently have 2 rio90s and a rio600 to move water and an 800 in the bakpak...

got any pics DAP ?

I think the SCWD's are important cause constant strong water flow can damage corals, and you still must have water flow to prevent natural toxins from concentrating too much in one area.

With the SCWD, it provides more of a surge in the tank than a contant flow, benifiting the corals also in the way of good water quality. Besides they're under $30 on ebay, not too much i don't think.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey DAP,

The way you have it plumbed currently, if the power goes out, will the top 3 inches of water from your main tank go back into the SCWD and into your sump? Just curious if those things are bi-directional.

Originally posted by Physh1

I think the results would be better in larger tanks. Nano's just don't have the volume to see the true results of wavemaking in my opinion. The idea is good but the application isn't big enough. It wouldn't hurt but I just don't see it being very benificial...

Cameron

Can you elaborate a little? The SCWD would make varying current in a large tank as well as a small tank. Whats the difference? Alternating current is alternating current regardless of tanks size.

Archived