Cultivated Reef

LiveRock

hyewiz

I have a question

If a live rock stayed out of water for a period of lets say about 1 year, is that rock reusable and hopping to be come live again?. in a salt water only thank.

thank you

FLcracker94

well...being out of the water for a year will kill all the organisms on it. If you rinse it well, boil it, whaterver, it should be fine. It just wont be liverock anymore, it will be deadrock....don't try, if you can't bring deadPEOPLE to life, you cant bring deadROCK to life. lol

You wont get hitchhikers, coralline algae,ect to come with it. Its all dead.

Just a bare rock.

thats false , you can bring rock back to "liverock" in a few weeks it will be live with bacteria and in a few months coraline etc will have started to grow and you will not tell the difference

FLcracker94

well, all that wont come from that rock. It has to come from another source, another rock. Everything in it would be dead, put it next to another live rock in water, the organisms will move to the dead rock.

so in a way, I was wrong, but right...

It is dead now but yes you can make it live rock again and seeding it with some currently live rock will help but as stated before boil it, scrub it and scrub some more then repeat.

wildernesstank
well, all that wont come from that rock. It has to come from another source, another rock. Everything in it would be dead, put it next to another live rock in water, the organisms will move to the dead rock.

so in a way, I was wrong, but right...

omg wow

Archived