Pod Your Reef

Biowheel or no Biowheel

Chamkeeper

Chamkeeper

My 30g has a Penguin 180 w/ Biowheel. I have read both sides of the biowheel issue. Recently I have had an red algae issue. I removed the glass top from under the light (96w 50/50 PC) and things improved. Now the stuff seems to be creeping back into the tank. My water tests good, even nitrates, the biowheel's supposed trouble. I am planning on kicking up the lights, either adding another 96W PC or 175 MH. Should lighting fix my algae woes or is the biowheel doing me in now that the tank is aging?

how old is the 96W bulb you've got in there? eight months and it should start noticeably shifting (i.e. algae).

if the tank's relatively new then i'd think about removing the bio-wheel, if your bio-load is low. if it's high then you might want to re-think how much you feed or changing the filter pads more often or still removing the wheel but monitor your water quality levels. you may have to wc a bit more until the LR deveop more denitrating bacteria.

What is your phosphates test telling you? I had a similar problem and one of the ways I fixed it was using Rowaphos in a media bag in my sump all the time now. Phosphates are algaes best buddy so make sure you are getting rid of them before they sneak attack.

HTH

Chamkeeper

Tiny,

Bulb is a few months old.

Bio is a Scooter, Firefish Gobie and 2 damnsels....

A few good sized corals, a big Frogspan and a big Colt....everything else (3 or 4) is a frag...

Can I safely pull it?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived