ReefCleaners.org

small prop tank questions

mascencerro

mascencerro

To make a long story short, I have someone I grew up with, whose father is into coral. My friend has been to my house a couple times, seen my tanks, etc, and has talked to his father about them. His father has talked to him a couple of times about maybe wanting me to set up a prop system for him, but keep it at my house and maintain it, but we split any profits, whatever. From what I understand, he is wanting to pay for the equipment, etc for this system. The electric bill is something we haven't discussed in depth, but we'll work it out if this ever goes further than thought.

Anyway, I am just wanting to set up a 50 gal rubbermaid container or something similar to do this with, only grow out zoas, softies, and LPS. I don't know what all he has in mind, but its his money, my time.

Any pointers from those of you who have done this sort of thing from ground up using this method?

I would like it to not have a sump if possible, due to space constraints, just have LR in the bottom or on one side and racks on the other.

I know we'll need MH and a good pump, but any suggestions on what has worked better for you?

I, as most people, would like to keep costs down a little until things progress and can be upgraded.

ReadyReefer

you might want to read the bring your own dremel thread. I believe mvite just uses large tubs that you buy at hardware supply stores

mascencerro

thanks for the replies, I'll do some reading on those threads tonight when I get home from work.

I've got a 15 gal I was setting up for another PDF tank, but I just don't like how it is looking, so I may tear it down and use it for the tank until things get going a little.

One thing i have noticed with mini-prop set ups if they are a fun at first but after a bit you realize you could have accomplished the same thing with a couple of racks in your main display and save on the electricity bill.

I am planing to tear mine down and move the frags to my display tanks. my 10AGA was a neat project but in the end its just one more tank i have to watch over.

mascencerro

I've already got a couple racks in my main display and I'm tired of them filling up and nowhere for new stuff. Usually I put newly aquired items on the rack so the misc. stuff in the sand doesn't bother them while they get used to the new home. That, and I'm getting tired of looking at the racks in the main display.

I already have a 6 gal set up for frags, but the coralife 2x18w keeps blowing bulbs so I'm giving up on it. I've already received one replacement light from them and it blows bulbs after about 3 months too.

mascencerro

here is a conceptual layout of what I want to do with the 15 gal:

fifteen.jpg

I may have a little different shelves, but mostly like that, with the spraybar at the back, and maybe have it round the corner and go down the side as well.

Any suggestions?

Also, the tank is glass, but I'd like to use acrylic for the partitions, but I know they're due to fail because of the lack of bonding. Does nano-paul do any cutting/drilling like what would need to be done with the surface skimmer and hole for the spraybar? The reason I ask that, is because there is only 1 glass shop local, and they are *expensive*.

Archived