Cultivated Reef

Do You Test?

121a

I don't test my water. After two week i do my routine water change and maybe test for PH. If something doesn't look good then i test. So, do you? (I don't want to hear "Well you have a clam and a few sps, you should test for calcium" Well i don't even own a calcium test kit.)

I've never tested anything in my tank but salinity and temperature, and I haven't checked either of those for 4 months.

SPS dominated tank. My calcium test kit has so much salt creep on the box I can't even get the thing open.

Edit: This is NOT a recommended venue for new reefers.

circusordie16

i dont own a test kit and never have. i feel like common sense can take care of most everything and if you keep it simple, theres not much to worry about.

i dont own a test kit and never have. i feel like common sense can take care of most everything and if you keep it simple, theres not much to worry about.

Ha ha thats funny^^^^. I only test when I start to feel paranoid because I haven't tested in a long time.

I have an indicator coral or 2 in my tank... if my metallic green mushroom is tucked up, I test.

Otherwise... not anymore. Did at first, now, not so much.

Temp(always has a thermometer), salinity(sometimes), and pH(sometimes).

But that mushroom is REALLY sensitive.

circusordie16

i guess i should add that i have a thermometer i check occasionally to make sure things are ok and i test salinity with a refractometer when im changing water.

HecticDialectics

I check salinity with my refractometer every time I change water... I test everything else when I think I need to. There's no reason to test all the time if nothing is wrong. I do test nitrites, nitrates, Ca, alk, and pH every two weeks or so just to make sure everything is in line. I do think testing can help you know your nitrates are creeping up before your corals get mad and die... and it helps to make sure you're dosing right if you're dosing... but testing every day or two doesn't make sense.

i got tested for mono. :) it was positive. :(

lol seriously now.. my xenia is my all in one test kit. i don't dose, so i don't really need to test for anything. i should, but don't.

Tim

FLcracker94
i test everything. i guess i'm just nervous and don't have anything better to do with my time

dont worry, I test everythin too. I test every week or two. I test salinity when the water starts getting low, or I do waterchanges.

Wow, i thought i was going to get flamed for this. I only dose purple up for calcium and a few other elements, and Live phytoplankton. I sometimes test for salt, but i have an ato unit setup so i don't really need to.

I only test for phosphates, alkalinity and calcium, and only occasionally. In general test need not apply unless things start looking not so good or dying. But I would have to say, a test kit is a MUST for the hobby, even if you don't use it. At least you have one in case you need one, since typically many LFS's won't tell you the right things with your water anyways, or use crappy tests. And outside of the usual nitrite, nitrate, pH, and ammonia tests, it's said not to bother testing for anything you aren't dosing. Like if you dose Ca, then it's a good idea to have a Ca test to make sure you don't overload. Same if you alk or pH buffer your tank...

thus thread is totally going to give newbies the wrong idea.

That being said, if your tank is set up correctly there should be no need to test for anything unless you're dosing for something.

I pretty much stopped testing. My PH is low 7.8 my nitrates are always at 20 ppm??? But everything is kicking butt in my tank. So I don't test for PH ever anymore.

I do test salinity once a week and also test nitrites and for ammonia once a week.

FLcracker94

are you sure your tests werent from the 1950's? lol

Obviously with those levels, your fish would be floating on their backs by now....

Of course testing your S.G. is absolutely necessary to prevent serious stress issues. I'd say a TDS meter is also a must, but it's not feasable for many reefers, though it should be... :rolleyes:

travisurfer

no, i have a temp probe in the tank that i never really even look at and i rarely even get the refractometer out. i just look at my corals ;) other than my refractometer and my temp probe, i don't really have anything to test the water except for those stupid little test strips collecting dust somewhere.

yesterday i stepped on my refractometer, which is my test kit. if corals start lookin funny, its time to test. but beyond temp and salinety, never.

I use the goofy dip sticks to spot check things at least weekly and I check salinity after water changes. Then every two - three weeks I pull out the saliferts and go to town unless something in the tank doesn't look right or if I'm making a change - this last week I introduced b-ionic 2 part so I tested daily to get a feal for how it affected my tank.

are you sure your tests werent from the 1950's? lol

Obviously with those levels, your fish would be floating on their backs by now....

obviously you dont have any idea what you are talking about. :lol:

FLcracker94
why would they? 7.8 is fine and 20ppm is nothing to fish

Unless the fish like more acidic water, then they're fine. Just, most fish like PH of 8.4, so those fish are probebly stressing

Unless the fish like more acidic water, then they're fine. Just, most fish like PH of 8.4, so those fish are probebly stressing

FLcracker, I dont want to be mean but you keep giving lots of advice and a good bit of it is bad. You have been a member for 12 days and have almost 400 post? Maybe you should talk less and listen more.

FLcracker94

Most of them are in the makeshift lounge, And part of me talking, is part of me learning, you just gotta say something about it, and I wont argue.

I was just saying, I don't thinks theres much SW fish that appreciate PH at 7.8

and alot were question threads, (made by me) and my tank page.

Archived