SaltCritters.com

Air bubbles from increased light?

moose12

I just upgraded from a 1x32W PC to a 2x55W PC fixture. :D Now air bubbles are appearing all over the place. Not too sure what happened. I searched on this topic and thought I read another post that discussed bubbles coming from adding certain pieces of equipment, skimmers..lights?.

Here are the tank specs:

12-gallon Eclipse

18 lbs of LR

2-3" sandbed

Lighting:

WAS 1x32W CSL Smartlight

NOW 2X55W of PC goodness

Filtration:

1-HOB Aquaclear Mini (w/carbon about 1 week per month)

1-Rio 90

1-Minijet 404

Coral:

Brown Frogspawn

Green Star Polyps

Devils Hand Finger Leather

Inverts

2-Pep shrimp

1-Skunk Cleaner

14- Asst. Snails

2-Fighting Conch

2-Blue Leg Hermits

Fish

2-False Percs

Thanks for the help.

thats what i figured......my pH seems to be still be in range 8.1-8.2, also looks like it has decreased since this morning. i'll see what happens, my other thought as the culprit is the HOB filter, the water level was lower than normal and it seems to bring in some bubbles as well when the return is higher.

thanks for the help!

Hmm, i dunno about lighting increasing airbubbles......

Id look into the HOB.....that just seems more likely/logical.

Raise i agree....

but then i did some more searching i think with the increased lighting, the algae could have started photosynthesizing like crazy, i read that when that happens oxygen is given off, in my case the wonderful airbubbles on my rock. i read a post on reef central that suggested increased circulation would also help with the bubbles.

I get those air bubbles on the glass sometimes from the algae.. occationally I get them elsewhere when some bubbles from the HOB or something else get sucked into the powerhead and micro bubbles get shot everywhere...

oh, that does make a bit of sense. I first thought they were bubbles in the water column, now that doesnt make sense :)

Im thet dude at reefcentral that posted about the $@^$@%^ bubbles. I added 2 more Powerheads to my 10g and after a week the bubbles are gone by 90%. The key was to not only point the PH at the water surface but to also point them toward the bottom of the tank to get circulation throughout.

BTW I went from 44W PC to 96W PC my problem acurred about 2 weeks after the light switch.

I recently increased the time my lights are on and I'm noticing more bubbles forming as well. I'm not for sure what to do about it because I already have a ton of flow.

-basa

yup i read your post, reread it, reread it some more....:) glad to hear the increased flow, especially throughout the tank helped. i just upgraded my tank too. 12 gallon to 20 gallon, guess its not really a nano anymore......which is why the 7g Minibow is holding all my livestock, until that #$@# sand settles.

Archived