Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pistol Shrimp doesn't want to pair

JonEwald

So after having my pistol shrimp (unknown Alpheus sp.) for about 7 months now, we finally saw our Pink Spotted Goby(Cryptocentrus leptocephalus) take an interest in pairing with it. However, within about an hour the pistol had kicked the goby out of his burrow after lots of snapping. The goby appears unharmed beyond being a little confused why he couldn't be friends.

Is this normal behavior when the two attempt to pair?

Could this pistol not be interested in pairing? I do know some Alpheus species will not pair, but I've never been able to properly identify mine.

if you can get a picture of it i can definitely identify it for you. There is a high chance your's may be a red pistol from the carribean if it doesnt' want to pair. These are also pretty common in the trade.

1003_shrimp.jpg

Found this pic on Google. Looks very similar to mine. Tentatively ID'ing my pistol shrimp as Alpheus heterochaelis.

Will still try to get a pic of him tonight if he can be lured out of his burrow for proper identification. Hope you can help me out this1fish

that's your ordinary green pistol. very similar to the red pistol in body shape and claw structure. i'm not sure if those guys like pairing up as no one seems to show interest in them and not alot of info on those guys are out. could be your goby isnt' one of it's natural host so it wouldn't pair up with it.

FLcracker94
that's your ordinary green pistol. very similar to the red pistol in body shape and claw structure. i'm not sure if those guys like pairing up as no one seems to show interest in them and not alot of info on those guys are out. could be your goby isnt' one of it's natural host so it wouldn't pair up with it.

+1 :happy:

Archived