Innovative Marine Aquariums

Question about Conch

Treef

Are Conches predatory? I recently bought a bunch of astrea snails and and i think a conch got mixed in, i did not notice this at first because the snails were climbing all over each other but this morning when i looked at my tank i saw this turbo snail thats usually busy zooming around the rocks lying on the sand and there was this conch on top of it. I pulled the conch off and i noticed that the turbo snail's shell looked empty, usually i can see at least a part of it sticking out. Anyway i placed the turbo back on the rocks and went to work, i came back about an hour ago and checked how it was doing and it was lying upside down on the sand again. So could the conch has possibly killed it, all i have in my tank are snails.

althefishguy

Yes some are killers ! I know the Horse conch will eat other snails !

Check out this paper he lists conchs that are predators hope it helps !

reefman225gal
Are Conches predatory? I recently bought a bunch of astrea snails and and i think a conch got mixed in, i did not notice this at first because the snails were climbing all over each other but this morning when i looked at my tank i saw this turbo snail thats usually busy zooming around the rocks lying on the sand and there was this conch on top of it. I pulled the conch off and i noticed that the turbo snail's shell looked empty, usually i can see at least a part of it sticking out. Anyway i placed the turbo back on the rocks and went to work, i came back about an hour ago and checked how it was doing and it was lying upside down on the sand again. So could the conch has possibly killed it, all i have in my tank are snails.
There are some conchs that are indeed predators. One comes to mind the Crown conch (Melongena corona) It can eat Turbos and Astrea snails like popcorn.

Archived