ReefCleaners.org

what is this thing [pic]

mry

well had some dead base rock in my tank for a few weeks and finally added cured live rock from the LFS that is about 10min away....two days later I notice this disc like think on the dead rock and then it has moved today (4 days later) it looks like a little disc shroom looking thing...I have no clue as to what it is....I have noticed that some of the "dead" rock is getting some red tint to it..and the live rock is getting some clear bubble like spots onit and bright green patches...is this normal?? also how long for the dead rock to be just like the live rock??? thanks all..here is a photo of that disc thing....thanks all

IMG_3650%20copy.jpg

i'm sorry, my brain's re-fried with this stupid accounting final. i used to know the name of that algae eater (age sucks). i think sprung id's it in one of his books (mebbe one of the TRA's with delbeek).

i believe it eats microalgae (give me a break, i read it like three years ago). altho it looks like a little round piece of coralline it slowly moves around. usually pinkish in color i believe. i haveta think ca/alk affect it as it looks just like coralline. ??? sorry, maybe someone can pipe in with a real name.

what ever it was it is gone...must be hiding...I looked and looked and can't find it...got some new books today and I will see if I can figure it out...thanks

it's a foraminiferan, now i remember why it confused me. mine were almost always pinkish looking while sprung's pics were greenish. i kept thinking foram for some reason (but with the mental pic of red forams popping up i just thought i was too tired).

sprung has them listed as filter feeder/microfauna feeder and photosynthetic. that last bit surprised me. i didn't remember that aspect.

well I spotted it again on a different piece of rock....thanks all for letting me know what it is....hey dragonfish what part of WI are you at?? I'm near kenosha

It is called a fleshy limpet. Fleshy limpets are keyhole limpets where the shell is totally covered by the soft tissues of the animal. They may be any number of colors, but tend to be some shade of orange, tan, or beige. The nipple-like aperture on the top of the expanded fleshy mantle is distinctive. They are small, typically no more than an inch or two (up to 5 cm) in length. Like all keyhole limpets they do have a good shell, and an even better rasping organ. Their diets are not adequately known, but they probably will eat either calcareous algae or sessile invertebrates.

Contributed by Michael Wamsley, this fleshy limpet was photographed in a reef aquarium.

Archived