Coral Vue Hydros

removing tank's trim

ejmeier

Uh, how exactly do you do it, and what are the risks involved?

I want to get a 29 gallon tank, but I also want to use my own trim, perhaps some moulding that you can get at HD. So basically I don't want the trim that comes with the AGA tanks.

Has anyone ever successfully removed the trim on their tank, (and kept the tank in perfect condition). If so, please post your experiences and what methods you used, etc.

Thanks

As someone who has done this several time with broken tanks I suggest you don't try it. :) You will probably break the glass, the trim is very securely glued on. Plus it really is there to seal the top and prevent water splashes and creep.

The trim from HD I suppose is wood and it would not last long even if well sealed. What I suggest if you don't like the look of the plastic is to cover it with a hood or removeable/cleanable trim. You could also paint it with one of the textured spraypaints. I used the grey granite on a tank's trim and I think it looks great. You just have to do a good job masking the tank off.

HTH,

Lizbeth

Well, I might try it anyway, I don't know, either that or have one custom made without any trim, or maybe DIY.

It is going to be an open top clam tank, so no hood....

I was thinking to use white moulding, and seeing as how it is a clam tank, mainly to be viewed from the top, the default black trim would look really bad under white moulding. :x I'm picky like that. :P

I don't really think that I would have any problems with the trim itself, I was just planning to seal it with polyurethane, and I don't really see how it would be any different than the wood that comes in contact with the side of the aquarium when building a canopy. ???

Lizbeth, what method did you use to try and remove your trim that broke the tank? I have heard to just cut into the silicone repeatedly with a knife until it comes loose.

Originally posted by Xavier

Liz? Oh, she just uses a hammer to get the trim off.. if you break the glass first, it comes off even easier ;) heh heh

Mr. Smartypants, if this was chat I've have a few choice words for you. You know I favor my dremel with it's flexible shaft over a hammer anyday. :o

Eric, I used a razor blade and a utility knife to remove the silicone holding the trim to the glass under the rim. Then I repeatedly cut between the glass and trim. You really can't get all the way under on both the inside and outside (at least with the tanks I did). Getting it to start breaking free is a big problem.

I don't understand what trim you want to use. Will it cover the raw edge of the glass? A wooden hood usually rests on the plastic trim which is a bit of a barrier from the saltwater. HD and Lowe's also carry quite a few trim mouldings that are plastic, I've used them with success. I still vote for painting the existing trim. As I said I painted one with the texture paint and I also painted a wood tone one black to match a stand I painted black granite. But it's whatever will make you happy that you should do. :)

Some tanks actually use the trim as support as well.. so be mindful of what you're removing and why less you come home to a new swimming pool in the living room :)

Well, as I was eyeing the trim on the top of one of my tanks, and I was thinking, maybe I should just paint the top trim; it looks pretty well stuck on there. :o I think I see what you mean, how you may only be able to work free the sides of the trim, while the top is still siliconed on.

I was thinking to paint the top trim white (the color-theme for the tank/stand) and use some large, gaudy moulding for the bottom trim to cover up the DSB. :D

I really want to hide all traces of black from the top trim, so I will have to paint the inside rim too, and maybe the part of the inside glass where the trim is connected to the glass, at least for the back (I am painting the back of the tank white too). I hope standard exterior paint will hold up.

The only other problem I see would be to get the moulding for the bottom to sit flush against the glass of the tank. If I layed it over top the existing trim, there would be about an 1/8" gap between the glass and moulding. I was thinking to use a router and maybe take out a piece of the moulding equal to the trim, that way there would be a notch to fit the moulding over. I don't know if I can really do this, as I am just starting to experiment with routers.:*(

Archived