Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Amazing Simple Surge Device!!!

chvynva916

chvynva916

I just had an idea last night I wanted to get feedback on. It seems that if you have a sump (like I do) all you need to do for surge motion is set your return pump on a timer (something like 4s on and 7 s off). During the on time, you could (assuming you have an adjustible return pump like me) really crank up the juice sending a surge of water into the tank. During the off time, water would return via whatever overflow you had as well as siphon back through the return line. Looking on line, it seems like the MVT Wavemaker can give you that kind of timing for one pump at a cheap price ($35). Any comments?

But where would you find a timer like that? Some people actually use plug in christmas tree light blinkers inline with their powerheads to create wave motion, something like 2s on 2s off.

Originally posted by Foogoo

But where would you find a timer like that? Some people actually use plug in christmas tree light blinkers inline with their powerheads to create wave motion, something like 2s on 2s off.

Never thought of using christmas blinker lights for a timer. Do you have a link to a page for some info on how this works and maybe some testimonials on how well it holds up.

Thanks,

Chris

if the pump shoots water out every few seconds, when it stops, there would be a reverse on the water flow, drawing it back in a vacuum and the tank water might end up on the floor. I had this problem with my top-off system. I put the outflow tube into the tank and it was submerged. To test the system I raised the switch until the pump was turned on and water was taken from the bucket into the tank. Then,when the swtich went off, bigtime waterflow from the tank into the bucket. If I hadn't tested the system first, I would have destoryed the tank, the area around it and possibly my marriage.

There is a device that simulates a wave rollling in and pulling back. That set-up made me think that there could be a way to put a powerhead in the tank with a tube for the outflow, also in the tank. THe powerhead switches on, water pumps out along the upper portion of the thank. Powerhead turns off and the flow is reversed, pumping water out the bottom of the tank and dragging it in across the top. Pump swtiches back on, system reversed again, like a wave. For it to be trully effective, I would guess some kind of spray bar that spreads the inflow and outflow would be needed.

unfortunately, I have been unable to find the link to the site that makes the wave simulator.

chvynva916

As for a timing device, the RIO MVT Wave Maker seems to be able to control a single pump with intervals between 0-100s so I think that would work. As for the reverse flow problem crakeur described, I was counting on this to help create the wave motion. I have enough extra sump capacity to handle any siphoning my pump would do in the event of a pump failure or problem. I am really considering this...give me an hour or so for a test run.

Archived