Top Shelf Aquatics

My DIY Night Light

OxInYourBox

OxInYourBox

I picked up this package of 3 blue (they have red and green and maybe others) LED's for $10 at AutoZone while picking up some parts for the T-Bird. The LED's come with mounters, and a built in resistor for 12V power sources and I happened to have a couple 12V power adapters laying around.

Some 1/2" PVC pieces from Lowes ($2 max but I had them laying around), my trusty drill (the holes need a 7/32" hole but I worked around that with a 3/16" bit), crimpers, and a beer made it all come together.

I still haven't decided on a mounting scheme (thinking zip ties and an adhesive base as used for my Physh1 auto top off's and mounting on the edge of my hood as I have no room inside it) as I'm leaving for vacation today. By design this could be extended (the ends are not sealed) to be used on longer tanks than a 10G which I plan to use it for. It's a bit of overkill for the 10G but I had them so I had to use them. :)

OxInYourBox

They throw light out for 6 feet or so (Had no more room to test in my room as all of my power outlets are used lol). When I get back I'm going to wrap the cords in spiral loom to make them neater and will probably seal around the LED's with silicone to prevent any splash. All in all it took me 30 mins max with the majority of the time being the drilling of the 7/32" hole with a 3/16" bit :). Feel free to ask any questions if need be.

LED's on:

OxInYourBox

None yet. I had to finish packing for a week of vacation (I wonder if I can turn a hottub into a FOWJets for a week.. j/k) so this was a break for me. I will say that all of my GSP were spectacular underneath them. I'll post some pics when I get back and get it hooked up to the tank.

Thanks TheCurriculum.

Archived