Pod Your Reef

Breaking up pieces of Fiji live rock.

swordfish

I have a few questions about live rock which I'll ask in another post, but I wanted this one to be just about any experiences anyone may have had with either breaking up or attempting to break up live rock into smaller pieces for the purpose of being able to re-arrange it in your tank in ways which you previously couldn't.

I happen to have three really nice pieces in my 7 bow which I do not want to trade in for new ones, but I just can't seem to get the feng shui going with them no matter how I arrange them. I think if I break one of them in two that it will thus allow more attractive arrangement options. Is this rock best not broken at all, do you slam it over something like the edge of a concrete stair or could you use a chisel and hammer to cleave it with some degree of accuracy? Just wondering what anyone else may have experienced in this matter.

Thanks again,

Jeff

A hammer a chisel work for me too. It allows you to split the rock in the direction you wish. I've done it around a dozen time successfully.

Cameron

Not that I recomend doing this because it's probably a really bad idea, but I took my rock outside to the patio and broke it on the cement. Once again, do not try this at home!

I used the claw end of the hammer to chisel out the pattern I wanted to remove... I turned a round chunk of rock into a curved piece to make a cave... I would've used a regular chisel if I had one at home though...

Archived