Top Shelf Aquatics

Clown in QT being treated with CU looks swimming wierd

Ryanhdd

So I have two clowns in QT now, this was after I brought one home and it developed ich, so put in QT and then other one a few days later went in the QT also. They are both doing great no signs of ich. I am going to let them stay in for a few more weeks just to be sure. Well the new one is not swimming very well. Kinda not using its tail fins. Not as active as other clown. The clown is not showing any other signs of being sick. Its not really eating now that I think about it. Any one have ideas. Thanks

Now he is swimming vertically at the top of the water. looks bad

FLcracker94

hmmm...oxygen starvation...nitrite/nitrate poisoning...

Check nitrites and nitrates.

also, check the water temp. higher temps require more O2

• 2 weeks later...
SeeDemTails

probably not.....

I will bet nitrite and ammonia poisoning from QTing the fish.

IMO QTing fish is the worst thing you can do to them when they get a parasite. Parasites are natural, and if you have a healthy tank and your fish are healthy, you wont get parasites.

A clean tank is the best cure to ich I have found. A cleaner shirmp doesnt hurt either. Trying to poison the parasites is always a bad idea with fish.

I would do a good water change in the main and put the other fish back in the main before it dies too. Make sure you drip acclimate it, not for stress purposes, it will probably only prolong the stress, BUT, you dont want to get any copper water in your main.

probably not.....

I will bet nitrite and ammonia poisoning from QTing the fish.

IMO QTing fish is the worst thing you can do to them when they get a parasite. Parasites are natural, and if you have a healthy tank and your fish are healthy, you wont get parasites.

A clean tank is the best cure to ich I have found. A cleaner shirmp doesnt hurt either. Trying to poison the parasites is always a bad idea with fish.

I would do a good water change in the main and put the other fish back in the main before it dies too. Make sure you drip acclimate it, not for stress purposes, it will probably only prolong the stress, BUT, you dont want to get any copper water in your main.

Yep yep... that and I'm about 90% that clown fish are sensitive to copper. So that probably wasn't helping much either...

Yep yep... that and I'm about 90% that clown fish are sensitive to copper. So that probably wasn't helping much either...

Cleaner shrimp helping take care of ick is a myth and a false one at that. Ick starts under the skin of the fish and is only visible when laying eggs (hence the white salt looking dots). The best thing to do is to quarantine and do hyposalinity, gradually bring the SG over a period of 4 days or so to 1.009-1.011 and keep it there for 5-6 weeks, it will kill off any ick cycle on the fish, and if you have no fish in the main tank it will kill off the cycle there too because the ick has no host.

If the next post doesn't have a citation where they got the information....This thread is useless.

Theres 25 different opinions (some contradicting each-other)....this is ridiculous :/

SeeDemTails

Another forum? Bwahaha! :lol:

Awsome source!! -_-

Cleaner shrimp dont eat parasites off fish, neither do neon gobies or other cleaner species. Just a myth..... -_-

Ich is a nothing more than a cold to fish. If you have a clean tank, most fish heal themselves. If you have high trates and other toxins in your water, it compounds the problem.

Stressing an already sick fish even more by placing it in brackish water. Might as well give it Chemo-therapy.

Sure it will kill the fish eventually, but it will kill the ich first right? :huh:

The majority of fish that go into a hyposalinic QT never make it out, and thats not a myth.

I have put fish heavily infected with Ich in my tank only to watch them clear up in a matter of days, with no effects to my HEALTHY fish because healthy fish dont get ich.

Another forum? Bwahaha! :lol:

Awsome source!! -_-

Cleaner shrimp dont eat parasites off fish, neither do neon gobies or other cleaner species. Just a myth..... -_-

Ich is a nothing more than a cold to fish. If you have a clean tank, most fish heal themselves. If you have high trates and other toxins in your water, it compounds the problem.

Stressing an already sick fish even more by placing it in brackish water. Might as well give it Chemo-therapy.

Sure it will kill the fish eventually, but it will kill the ich first right? :huh:

The majority of fish that go into a hyposalinic QT never make it out, and thats not a myth.

I have put fish heavily infected with Ich in my tank only to watch them clear up in a matter of days, with no effects to my HEALTHY fish because healthy fish dont get ich.

To each his own...I put my clownfish and damsel through 4 weeks 2 days of it and they made it out very healthy. It's safer than copper because it doesn't run the risk of them being infertile, and is less stressful on the fish because lower salinity = better breathing.

If the next post doesn't have a citation where they got the information....This thread is useless.

Theres 25 different opinions (some contradicting each-other)....this is ridiculous :/

Oh sorry, didn't know I was writing a research paper for college here.

BTW, thanks for your input on the subject... very helpful.

I couldn't find any really good sources, but got a few different sites. Didn't really feel like looking too much because I really don't care too much for clownfish in the first place.

http://www.fishlore.com/profile-maroonclownfish.htm

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=758

http://www.bioone.org/perlserv/?request=ge...CA%5D2.0.CO%3B2

Those are the first few that I ran across that weren't forum replies. Still not that creditable, but I couldn't find any book excerpts.

SeeDemTails
Whats this water change stuff you are talking about?

Your joking right?

You dont do water changes?

FLcracker94

wow, you got time to count all the different oppinions people said, but you didn't take10 more seconds to accually help!?? wow, great advise! If there was some!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned freshwater dips. If the fish is not showing signs of discomfort, but just has a little ich on its body... that would be a little less drastic than hyposalinity or copper. Do a 15 minute pH and temp adjusted dip, remove at the first sign of "OMG I'm about to die". I'm not going to quote you a dip schedule, because it's been some time.

I would also totally agree with everyone that said you don't need to quarantine a fish just for a little ich... that WILL go away on its own if it's not a severe case.

Also, copper quarantine sucks. I've just seen so many fish get messed up by it. I seem to remember that formaldehyde-based anti-parasitics can be used when you have a copper sensitive fish, but don't quote me as it's been awhile and I don't have footnotes :)

I'm surprised nobody mentioned freshwater dips. If the fish is not showing signs of discomfort, but just has a little ich on its body... that would be a little less drastic than hyposalinity or copper. Do a 15 minute pH and temp adjusted dip, remove at the first sign of "OMG I'm about to die". I'm not going to quote you a dip schedule, because it's been some time.

I would also totally agree with everyone that said you don't need to quarantine a fish just for a little ich... that WILL go away on its own if it's not a severe case.

Also, copper quarantine sucks. I've just seen so many fish get messed up by it. I seem to remember that formaldehyde-based anti-parasitics can be used when you have a copper sensitive fish, but don't quote me as it's been awhile and I don't have footnotes :)

Hyposalinity is not drastic...it's free and easy. Freshwater dips can kill the appearing eggs on the outside AKA salt looking .'s but the ick is under the skin, yes it will provide temporary relieve but it is not a solution, only a band-aid.

SeeDemTails

Freshwater dips lead to a lot of fish deaths.

Marine reef fish are not anadromous, and to put them in conditions wich they are not designed for is obviously very stressful.

I would venture to say more fish have died of ich treatment than of ich itself.

Hyposalinity is not drastic...it's free and easy. Freshwater dips can kill the appearing eggs on the outside AKA salt looking .'s but the ick is under the skin, yes it will provide temporary relieve but it is not a solution, only a band-aid.

Well, it's drastic in the sense that you're removing your fish from its tank for a month. Which is a pain in the ass for a little ich. A series of freshwater dips combined with good tank husbandry (which is the real long-term solution) will totally work.

Now... to cure a real outbreak where everything's badly infested, gasping, and scratching on rocks? Yeah, I would do hyposalinity too.

Freshwater dips lead to a lot of fish deaths.

Marine reef fish are not anadromous, and to put them in conditions wich they are not designed for is obviously very stressful.

I would venture to say more fish have died of ich treatment than of ich itself.

Depends on the species. Would I put a Butterfly in a freshwater dip? No. But a clownfish can handle that.

Archived