Pod Your Reef

Can I REALLY keep using my tap water?

dubious49

hi all.

my 10 gallon has been up and running for 9 days. right now it's stocked with 15lbs of LR and 20lbs of LS. i'm using 2 micro-jet powerheads (117gph each) and a penguin mini (100 gph) with carbon. lighting is a coralife aqualight with a 96w quad 50/50 bulb. i used regular tap water to fill the tank and am contempating purchasing a RO/DI unit for changes...but do i really need too? these are my water params:

Amm - 0

Trites - 0

Trates - 10

pH - 8.5

Alk - 3.2

SG - 1.023

Phos - 0.1

Cal - 300

the temp is holding steady at 79F. i haven't tested for silcates yet. after the first 5 days i noticed a diatom bloom and decreased the light cycle from 12 hours to 8 hours. the diatoms seem to be tapering off already. haven't done any water changes yet. just a single top-off for evaporation.

is it possible that i can keep using my tap water? are there any other things i should test for?

thanks for the info!

chris

You can but you have to remember that you are only testing for basic elements. You have no idea what other crap is in there. Could be copper, silicates, lead, etc, etc, etc....

For the best health and results you should use RO/DI water but it's ultimately your call. I wouldn't think twice about getting a filter to make better water for your tank. You may even consider a home unit to supply you and your tanks with better water.

Cameron

chvynva916

I was actually just talking to a guy in my neighborhood who keeps 4 tanks of varying sizes (55, 50, 29, 5.5 I believe) with only tap water. Water in our area is even particularly hard (~170 ppm TDS). He says he can keep soft corals fine, but never any kind of hard corals. I wouldn't do it, but give it a try if you want. I kind of think you'll decide to get a better source eventually when stuff gets weird.

I have a 10 gal, too. I bought the "package" from Tampa Bay saltwater.com. Did well until I started adding new critters. Survival rate was only 50%. I am now in the process of twice a week water changes with distilled water. Things are looking very nice and I highly recommend distilled water until you decide, or have the bucks to, add a RO unit. I have the distilled delivered for $9.00/6 gallons. Skip the tap water. It is foreign to your tanks inhabitants and they don't care for it. Kenny

XtraKritical

I would do at least the Aquarium Pharm. tap water filter its cheap and better than having to battle algae or maybe even worse...

:*(

Remember bad things happen fast and there is less room for error with a nano than larger tanks!

I use it, its not RO/DI but my tank and L/R are algae free since!

(Even a rock aquired in a trade that had lots o hair algea is much nicer now!)

I have found RO and distilled water for sale at Wal-Mart for $.59/gal, and K-Mart carries it for $.69/gal.

Either one is a better deal than $9.00/6 gal or tap water!!!

Archived